website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

India are set to make their maiden appearance in the Under 17 Futsal World Cup next month, after being invited by the sport's governing body, the Association Mundial de Futsal (AMF), as a wild card to take part in the event.

11 hours ago, tirtha22 said:

India are set to make their maiden appearance in the Under 17 Futsal World Cup next month, after being invited by the sport's governing body, the Association Mundial de Futsal (AMF), as a wild card to take part in the event.

Futsal is the secret of brazils soccer success and with the small court size .....I think this is a great game for India too.................

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

Two good athletic performances 

National record - A month after breaking his own National record, Mumbai sprint hurdler Siddhanth Thingalaya bettered it again at the Grand Canyon State Games in Arizona, United States, on Sunday.     The ONGC star clocked 13.54s to win the men’s 110m hurdles, eclipsing the 13.59s which he had run at Clermont, Florida, on May 14.

Siddhanth, who is chasing the Rio Olympics qualification standard of 13.47s, missed by just .07 seconds 

Seasons Best -     2010 Commonwealth Games discus throw champion Krishna Poonia produced her season-best 59.39m at the Claremont Field of Dreams invitational meet in California on Sunday, according to coach and husband Virendar Poonia.

Five of her six throws were above 58m with her best coming on her last attempt and taking her close to the Rio Olympics entry standard of 61m.

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

This year we have had  a mega bag of NR in athletics in the last 3 months alone  ELEVEN by my count - showing that our atheletes are rapidly improving 

3000m Steeple ( W)  - 2 records 

100mh ( M ) - 2 records 

100 ( M ) - 1 record 

100( W ) - 1 record 

400( M ) - 1 record 

Javlein ( M ) - 1 record 

4*100 ( W ) - 1 record 

4*400 ( M ) - 1 record 

20Km ( M ) - 1 record

LIST OF MOST LIKELY QUOTA PLACES IN ATHLETICS FOR RIO :IND

In athletics we have reached 19 quota places ......... we have less than a month more ....................can we cross 24 quota places to make it an all time record for india in terms of quota places ( we achieved 24  in 2000 Sydney ) .... who do you feel will cross the magical A qualification level . In my view the following should do it 

1. Womens 4*400 meter team ( 5 quota places ) - They are currently 13th in the world - top 16 qualify , it is possible that 2-3 countries may cross India but Indian team is also going to keep improving I feel as they just had one international event ( this season ) in which they did well and came first ..........................with competition they would do even better 

2. Krishna Poonia ( Discus W ) - She is  a world class athlete - she had retired but has come back , she recently posted a 59.3 .........with a personal best of 64 plus , i think she will achieve the 61 mark 

3. Sidhanth thilangaya ( 110 m h ) - he has broken the national record twice , in a wind assisted meet he crossed the qualification mark . His season best is 13.54 just 0.07 seconds , I saw the wind assisted race where he broke the quota level ...he had tripped over the second last hurdle - I think he will achieve the mark 

4. Duttee chand - she has not been action for the last month , I am not clear why but she has the ability to hit the mark recently her national record at the fed games was just 0.01 behind the quota mark 11.32

5. Mens 4*400 ( 5 quota Places ) - They shattered the NR recently , the mark they made , if they achieve just the same level they will be at 12-13th level in the world and qualify . I feel they will not only reach this , they will also beat it  and make it to the olympics 

Edited by nitinsanker

29 minutes ago, nitinsanker said:

In athletics we have reached 19 quota places ......... we have less than a month more ....................can we cross 24 quota places to make it an all time record for india in terms of quota places ( we achieved 24  in 2000 Sydney ) .... who do you feel will cross the magical A qualification level . In my view the following should do it 

1. Womens 4*400 meter team ( 5 quota places ) - They are currently 13th in the world - top 16 qualify , it is possible that 2-3 countries may cross India but Indian team is also going to keep improving I feel as they just had one international event ( this season ) in which they did well and came first with competition they would do even better 

2. Krishna Poonia ( Discus W ) - She is  a world class athelete - she had retired but has come back , she recently posted a 59.3 .........with a personal best of 64 plus , i think she will achieve the 61 mark 

3. Sidhanth thilangaya ( 110 m h ) - he has broken the national record twice , in a wind assisted meet he crossed the qualification mark . His season best is 13.54 just 0.07 seconds , I saw the wind assisted race where he broke the quota level ...he had tripped over the second last hurdle - I think he will achieve the mark 

4. Duttee chand - she has not been action for the last month , I am not clear why but she has the ability to hit the mark recently her national record at the fed games was just 0.01 behind the quota mark 11.32

5. Mens 4*400 ( 5 quota Places ) - They shattered the NR recently , the mark they made , if the achieve just the same level they will be at 12-13th level in the world and qualify . I feel they will not only reach this , they will also beat it  and make it to the olympics 

6. Srabani Nanda

13 minutes ago, nitinsanker said:

1. Womens 4*400 meter team ( 5 quota places ) - They are currently 13th in the world - top 16 qualify , it is possible that 2-3 countries may cross India but Indian team is also going to keep improving I feel as they just had one international event ( this season ) in which they did well and came first with competition they would do even better 

2. Krishna Poonia ( Discus W ) - She is  a world class athelete - she had retired but has come back , she recently posted a 59.3 .........with a personal best of 64 plus , i think she will achieve the 61 mark 

5. Mens 4*400 ( 5 quota Places ) - They shattered the NR recently , the mark they made , if the achieve just the same level they will be at 12-13th level in the world and qualify . I feel they will not only reach this , they will also beat it  and make it to the olympics 

6. OP Jaisha, heard she is focusing on 800m and 1500m and not 5000m. I thought, she had the best chance in 5000m, still expecting a quota from her, she mentioned she can go below 2mins in 800m at Rio, she also said in a 1500m race she completed the last 800m below 2min 5 s which prompted her to take this decision.

7. Don't we have any more 50Km race walk event? If so, was expecting to get the remaining quota there.

8. Definitely 1 quota in triple jump(Renjith/Arpinder/Mayookha).

9. Arokya Rajiv and Anilda should get 2 quota's in individual 400m. Anilda got the 52.6s timing last week, in very cold and difficult conditions, so she is definitely in line, Rajiv should get it, outside chance even for Mohammad Anas.

10. Sini got the timing of 2:05.16 in that same severe cold condition last week in 800m, she has moved to 800m from 1500m, she has a chance in better conditions.

11. I know with the recent performances, we have lost hope on Neeraj, but do not count him off.

12. L Suriya, has a chance in 5000m, provided she participates in events, very upset with her non-participation.

I also have a question, with clear signals that Jaisha, Lalitha and Sudha are not going to participate in Marathon, we know Kavita is going to participate in Marathon, what about the other 2 places, can other athletes replace them and any idea if so who can be selected?

1 hour ago, Sanjib said:

6. OP Jaisha, heard she is focusing on 800m and 1500m and not 5000m. I thought, she had the best chance in 5000m, still expecting a quota from her, she mentioned she can go below 2mins in 800m at Rio, she also said in a 1500m race she completed the last 800m below 2min 5 s which prompted her to take this decision.

7. Don't we have any more 50Km race walk event? If so, was expecting to get the remaining quota there.

8. Definitely 1 quota in triple jump(Renjith/Arpinder/Mayookha).

9. Arokya Rajiv and Anilda should get 2 quota's in individual 400m. Anilda got the 52.6s timing last week, in very cold and difficult conditions, so she is definitely in line, Rajiv should get it, outside chance even for Mohammad Anas.

10. Sini got the timing of 2:05.16 in that same severe cold condition last week in 800m, she has moved to 800m from 1500m, she has a chance in better conditions.

11. I know with the recent performances, we have lost hope on Neeraj, but do not count him off.

12. L Suriya, has a chance in 5000m, provided she participates in events, very upset with her non-participation.

I also have a question, with clear signals that Jaisha, Lalitha and Sudha are not going to participate in Marathon, we know Kavita is going to participate in Marathon, what about the other 2 places, can other athletes replace them and any idea if so who can be selected?

why I did not put them 

I feel Mayookha was injured in the fed cup and she may not recover in time to reach the A standard ... arpinder has not shown any improvement in the last 2 years  and has been at a lower level , Renjith is  a possibility but  I feel he may have less chance to reach the given the standard of 16.85...... his best has been around 16.4 this year so has a huge ground to cover 

OP Jaisha / sini has to improve a really big amount to qualify within 2:01:50 , doing 2.05 is pretty average , for example lili das as a junior did it 

arokhya rajiv and anilda and poovama could have done it but they and the coaches  are all focussing on the 4*400 which I think is a good option as they can with some improvement and some luck be in the final in that event while in the individual they will never be able to even come close to the semis 

I have no clue what suriya is doing and as she seems to be not in the race at all 

Neeraj seems to have lost all confidence and his scores are coming down unless there is a surprise improvement I have lost confidence in him as of now 

50 km walk I think Basant Rana and  jitender singh and  Chandan singh have a chance but again there is no improvement in their  last performance and the jaipur track where they did well is I feel not a very standard track ( had a few downhill segments ) so their time could be over estimated , also 50km event is not common so I do not know how many events they have left till July 11th 

But I will add long shot chances are Neeraj ( if he regains confidence ) , Mayookha ( if she regains from injury )  ,  Renjith , srabani and basant / jitender with also 4*100 meter women who I feel can go much faster but they need to get their act together and they need to do a sub 44 ( twice ) which is why it is unlikely. 

@Sanjib

If more than 3 atheletes reach the A qualification - then the NOC can select the best 

Unfortunately in womens marathon we have only 4 women who have reached  A qualification standard - besides Kavita and Lalitha 

Orchatteri P. Jaisha 2:34:43 Beijing (CHN) 30.08.2015
Kavita Tungar-Raut     2:38:38 Guwahati (IND) 12.02.2016

so if sudha and lalitha do not participate ...India can nominate Jaisha and Kavita ( which I am sure they will do  and if any other women reaches that standard before July 11th then that women ( but currently there does not seem to be anyone close ) 

Edited by nitinsanker