website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

19 minutes ago, Arup said:

8.29 was the bronze winning performance at Rio (an underperformance though by the great Greg Rutherford). Do you think Sreeshankar has an outside chance for the bronze medal?

He has an outside chance, needs to improve a bit he is peaking at the right time, the 8.26 yesterday he had a few centimetres on the take off board so should be able to go over 8.30

4 hours ago, Arup said:

8.29 was the bronze winning performance at Rio (an underperformance though by the great Greg Rutherford). Do you think Sreeshankar has an outside chance for the bronze medal?

I think that's too much to ask. Even top 15 won't be easy.  We expect our athletes with 1 PB to achieve the same in Olympics. Maheshwari should have easily medalled at triple jump had he repeated the performance but it didn't happen. At least 10cm above bronze in 4-5 tournaments is required for any chance to win bronze 

4 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

I think that's too much to ask. Even top 15 won't be easy.  We expect our athletes with 1 PB to achieve the same in Olympics. Maheshwari should have easily medalled at triple jump had he repeated the performance but it didn't happen. At least 10cm above bronze in 4-5 tournaments is required for any chance to win bronze 

Though I agree that Murali is not a medal chance, he himself is saying he has only 20% chance for a medal, which also I think is higher compared to reality. I don't think you can compare Murali's performance with Renjith's. Murali has been consistently jumping over 8m. Even yesterday, all 5 of his jumps were over 8m. While, Renjith improved his PB by a large amount. I don't remember the full numbers, but it was something like he was jumping in early 16m range and all of a sudden he had a 17.5 range jump. Such a feat is always suspect. That is not the case with Murali. Based on his recent performances, we can expect him to have a jump of around 8 - 8.10m jump. To be a medal contender, he needs to improve that to 8.40 (his estimate) - 8.50m. 

With :THA Suthasini Suwettabut qualifying via World Singles Qualification Tournament, it also nearly confirms 2 quotas for India in Women's Singles. So unless if the other :THA girl doesn't qualify from Southeast Asia, which is highly unlikely, India gets 2 quotas