website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

Just now, nitinsanker said:

I think there are many opinions mentioned on badminton 

But Let us look at the qualification schedule.... It is ranking at the end of April that is critical..... There are 12 more ranking tournaments of some note left from now to April including the all England open

Taking for granted that we will have Sindhu, Sai and chirag- satwik the rest need to be in top 16 ..... I.e a point range of around 50000-55000 to be safe - at least 10 scores in the range of 4500-6500 would bring them there..... Currently if any of the Indians outside qualification range have at least 3-4 such scores they can achieve the range required....... Looking at the current group I feel Srikanth will have 4 scores in that group after the HK open.... Getting 5 -6 more out of 12 is doable....... Satwik- ashwini also have the trajectory they will have I think 5 such scores getting 4_5 out of the remaining 12 is very doable 

Saina had 3 she has to play well in the syed modi in India and she has too has a chance...... 

The rest do not seem to have more than 1-2 tournaments in the required range may be very tough.... They will need a streak of 5-6 continuous good performances which is possible but with them being unseeded may meet up with top seeds early which makes this number difficult

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

Everyone is panicking about Badminton qualifications but qualification is not that difficult even for Kidambi, Ashwini-Sikki, and either of XD pairs.

Breaking it up by events

Men Singles: Two players from same NOC need to be in top 16 for qualify. Sai Praneeth is comfortable in 8th but no other players in top 16. There are many likely candidates who have potential like Kashyap, Prannoy or Lakshya Sen but lets focus on Kidambi, who is currently about 17000 points away from 16th spot which looks tough at first sight but if we have a look at how ranking system works then its not that difficult. Kidambi is currently playing only Grade 2 tournaments and just participating in them garners atleast 2000-3000 points. Agreed that even the top 16 are also participating in these events, but still Kidambi even reaches quarterfinals consistently he can qualify.

Women Singles: Sindhu is safe in 6th but Saina is only 8000 points away and needs minimum consistent quarterfinal finishes to qualify

Women Doubles: Doubles is generally top heavy and the pairs from other nations are average. The pairs till Dutch pair Piek-Sienen are consistent and they should qualify. Ashwini-Sikki should qualify in top 14 as last two spots are likely to be continental quotas. They are just 2000 points away from the Russian pair, they are also probably better than the Canadian pair who are in 12th

Mixed Doubles: The question is not whether an Indian pair will qualify, but which pair will; either of Satwik-Ashwini or Pranaav-Sikki. My money is on Satwik-Ashwini. Both of them are on 30000 points and 4000 points away from 14th place. Either of them can overtake the French at 12th and German at 11th

Ranking System is given below

https://extranet.bwfbadminton.com/docs/document-system/81/1466/1471/Section 5.3.3.1 - World Ranking System.pdf