website statistics

Athletics EAA Indoor European Championships 2021

Totallympics

Obviously :POL performed below expectations, 5 golds from 2019 and whooping 7 from 2017 were never the on the cards due to emergence of Bol, Ingebrigtsen and Duplantis. Ewa Swoboda wouldn't have won 60m either. So the only real gold we "lost" was the men's shot put.

4 minutes ago, CCB said:

It gives a distorted picture, because only the 400, relays and 60m hurdles went well. We had a lot of disappointments on Thursday and Friday.

But however, an unbelievable result for Dutch athletics, eh ... Dutch 400 meter project!

And Bol the new Schippers? No way, it will be very hard to achieve what Dafne achieved in her career.

But Bol is only 21yo and has a much earlier start into stardom than Schippers. She can definitely dominate the European 400m scene during the next decade and who knows what she does in Tokyo? Will she enter both 400m hurdles and 400m flat?

I have to say I can't tell a difference between the Dutch women's relay other than Bol being the tallest. They all kinda look the same ;)

6 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

But Bol is only 21yo and has a much earlier start into stardom than Schippers. She can definitely dominate the European 400m scene during the next decade and who knows what she does in Tokyo? Will she enter both 400m hurdles and 400m flat?

I have to say I can't tell a difference between the Dutch women's relay other than Bol being the tallest. They all kinda look the same ;)

Bol only competes in the 400 hurdles. And the 4x400 women's relay. Maybe as well in the 4x400 mixed relay, but at this point Netherlands is not allowed to start in that event.

2 minutes ago, CCB said:

Bol only competes in the 400 hurdles. And the 4x400 women's relay. Maybe as well in the 4x400 mixed relay, but at this point Netherlands is not allowed to start in that event.

Given her obvious talent I believe she's gonna be running 400m flat outdoors too if only in European events. Obviously 400m hurdles is less stacked globally so she might cause some surprise in Tokyo for sure.

1 minute ago, Monzanator said:

Given her obvious talent I believe she's gonna be running 400m flat outdoors too if only in European events. Obviously 400m hurdles is less stacked globally so she might cause some surprise in Tokyo for sure.

We will see. The 400m hurdles is less stacked for sure, but she will have to battle with very strong Americans and Jamaicans. She said a few days ago she will run the 400m by now and then, but will have full focus on the 400m hurdles the coming years.

2 minutes ago, CCB said:

We will see. The 400m hurdles is less stacked for sure, but she will have to battle with very strong Americans and Jamaicans. She said a few days ago she will run the 400m by now and then, but will have full focus on the 400m hurdles the coming years.

Yes, women's 400m hurdles has seen a rise in performance overall in the last few years after some lean spell in late 00s/early 10s. But I think Bol is one athlete that will definitely profit from OG being delayed to 2021 ;)

Just caught up on the replays of the Dutch medals and interviews. Great final day!

Femke Bol is definitely the big thing in Dutch athletics right now. Though when it comes to the Dafne Schippers comparison, I think the 100m/200m definitely has more status globally than the 400m hurdles.

CCB rightly said that there was also a couple disappointments for the Dutch athletes, but all in all it feels like a succesful weekend. In addition to the medals I was happy to see 19 yo Zoë Sedney reaching the 60m hurdles final and to see Rik Taam close to the medals and scoring multiple PB's in the heptathlon. I've said it before, but I'm really enjoying the current crop of Dutch athletics talent, even if it is mostly a 400m project I guess:p.

And it's always such a joy following these athletics tournaments! Following all of you here in the thread also puts various results by other nations into perspective. Thanks guys!