website statistics

Women's Softball Tournament at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

10 minutes ago, dcro said:

Is there a more imperialistic sport than cricket though?

Well that's your view 

Yes cricket has English origins 

Just like about half the sports at the Olympics 

Imagine saying that about football/soccer 

or water polo 

Although the inventor of basketball was a Scottish born Canadian both basketball and volleyball have American origins 

14 minutes ago, dcro said:

No, but is certainly fitting for a typical Totallympics bashing masked under a pretense of "discussion".

Baseball/softball is like the only non-European-centric team sport at the Olympics. And it's here for one cycle. Just let it be.

Though I guess it's pretty likely to return in 2028 :mumble:

3 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Still better than cricket and kabaddi:lol:

The number of teams playing and number of fans following contradict your statement though.

Anyways, to all their own.

10 minutes ago, Bhaw said:

The number of teams playing and number of fans following contradict your statement though.

Anyways, to all their own.

WBSC around 140 federations,cricket 105 if you include british territories Jersey,Guernsey..

We never had any "external help" when it came to developing either baseball/softball or cricket.

And while baseball/softball are as marginal as they can be regarding the media attention, they both have players and both have enjoyed some European success (men's baseball team is always able to qualify for the European Championships, men's softball team recently came home with a historic medal, while the women's team is improving as well).

Cricket, meanwhile, is just non-existent. I guess this shows which IF is more invested into global development.

#banbestmen

Cricket actively cutting the number of teams going to to their world cup (the only sport I can ever remember doing so) shows they don't really care about the rest of the world.  Some of the big nations clearly didn't like getting embaressed by the likes of :IRL and :NED 

I have no interest in softball at all but good luck to the teams involved. I'm sure they couldn't care less what some fools on an internet forum think about them

4 hours ago, rajiv said:

That's because they are mainly American born and bred 

if only you'd inform yourself before writing this kind of stupid things...:whistle: :facepalm: :wall:

we have 4 american born players on the team out of 15 players...

and of those 4, 2 actually have been living and playing in Italy since many years (more than 10, they already played with our junior team when they were young) and 1 has 100% Italian heritage...

there's only 1 girl that's actually american who got our passport through marriage...

p.s. despite her name, Kotsoyanopoulos is 100% Italian (with Greek father)...

p.p.s. and the 2 stars of the team, are not among those "imported" players...actually, Piancastelli has been for years a star in the US college and pro system before returning home...