website statistics

Skateboarding at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

From what I can read from the 'general public' so far, skateboarding has not at all made a good impression so far. Seemingly highly subjective/random scoring (like breakdancing), a very large majority of tricks not being landed, especially in the women's competition even tons of tricks which didn't look like anything above average anyway...

Didn't really read or see anyone yet who was not familiar with skateboarding and now wants to watch more :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

From what I can read from the 'general public' so far, skateboarding has not at all made a good impression so far. Seemingly highly subjective/random scoring (like breakdancing), a very large majority of tricks not being landed, especially in the women's competition even tons of tricks which didn't look like anything above average anyway...

Didn't really read or see anyone yet who was not familiar with skateboarding and now wants to watch more :p 

It's having a great impact in Brazil because of the medalists. Hoefler gained half a million followers on instagram since yesterday and Rayssa is one of the biggest stars of the Games.

Regarding the competition, no audience has a huge impact, but it was still enjoyable.

I quite enjoyed Skateboarding’s debut, but I guess I’m in the minority on here. I thought both street comps were of a high level. 

I would agree with the some of the criticism around the scoring system and competition format. World Skate might want to reevaluate those things before Paris 2024.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

I quite enjoyed Skateboarding’s debut, but I guess I’m in the minority on here. I thought both street comps were of a high level. 

I would agree with the some of the criticism around the scoring system and competition format. World Skate might want to reevaluate those things before Paris 2024.

Out of genuine curiousity, which part of especially the women's competition would you consider to have been of a high level? Because I've had it on for basically the whole time, but out of a total of 40 tricks (not counting runs), only 14 (!) even landed. That's not to say they were good, that is to say the athlete didn't fall. 26 out of 40 tricks ended up with the athlete falling, that seems like an incredibly disappointing level...

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

The format favours high risk since you can drop 3/7 scores which gives the impression that the event is of low quality.

I found the trick portion to be a bit boring and I feel it devalued the run portion which I feel should be given greater preference. I would prefer something like three runs and taking the combined score of the top 2.

14 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Out of genuine curiousity, which part of especially the women's competition would you consider to have been of a high level? Because I've had it on for basically the whole time, but out of a total of 40 tricks (not counting runs), only 14 (!) even landed. That's not to say they were good, that is to say the athlete didn't fall. 26 out of 40 tricks ended up with the athlete falling, that seems like an incredibly disappointing level...

I think you guys could have a better impression if the Men's competition was today...

The level of Women's is still very low, it needs to improve a lot yet

And I agree that this format of competition could be changed at least.

I watched the Worlds here in Brazil in 2019, and it was one of the best skateboarding competitions ever (for men and women). I just believe that the performance on this competition was not so satisfatory as it could have been.

6 minutes ago, Tigercub said:

Is there still a possibility that Skateboarding might not be included in the 2024 olympics list of sports?

I dont think so, Skateboarding is already confirmed for Paris.

10 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I found the trick portion to be a bit boring and I feel it devalued the run portion which I feel should be given greater preference. I would prefer something like three runs and taking the combined score of the top 2.

That bothers me a little bit. You do one trick and gets a bigger score than an entire run with multiple tricks? It doesn't feel balanced.