website statistics

Skateboarding at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

Just now, thiago_simoes said:

Maybe the problem is that you guys are trying hard to compare this sport to other sports, while it tries to do its own thing.

Wait, aren't you a big fan of ski jumping? :lol::hyper::p:p:p:p

Yes, but at least there it's clear what the goal is :p 

Just like in for example gymnastics, there is a very clear scoring system (which I don't have in my mind, but I know it exists). Out of curiousity, is there any information on the skateboarding scoring system, like which tricks give you which points, which deductions and so on? Or is it sort of a matter of looking as cool as possible?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, thiago_simoes said:

Maybe the problem is that you guys are trying hard to compare this sport to other sports, while it tries to do its own thing.

Wait, aren't you a big fan of ski jumping? :lol::hyper::p:p:p:p

It looks like most people have the same first impression - it's a slopestyle without the snow. Which means it's not exactly new for anyone who follows Winter OG. I assume Brazilians don't actually watch winter Olympics all that much hence they don't realize the "own thing" isn't exactly the case.

11 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Yes, but at least there it's clear what the goal is :p 

Just like in for example gymnastics, there is a very clear scoring system (which I don't have in my mind, but I know it exists). Out of curiousity, is there any information on the skateboarding scoring system, like which tricks give you which points, which deductions and so on? Or is it sort of a matter of looking as cool as possible?

According to our commentators yesterday, there are fixed values for the tricks and judges score how well these are performed according to how much they're worth. I agree that it's not immediately clear which tricks are harder, but maybe it's because of lack of familiarity.

One of the criticisms from the commentators is that the values of the tricks are the same for men and women, and since women perform, at this point, much simpler tricks, their values are much lower than the men's tricks. Even in gymnastics, skills performed by men and by women are scored differently. For example, a double layout somersault on floor is worth 0.6 for women and 0.4 for men. Maybe skateboarding needs this kind of adjustment too.

Another cool addition would be nominating which tricks they are going to perform, pretty much like in diving. So, there could be an animation showing how the trick should be performed before they try it, and how much it's worth in scoring.

15 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

It looks like most people have the same first impression - it's a slopestyle without the snow. Which means it's not exactly new for anyone who follows Winter OG. I assume Brazilians don't actually watch winter Olympics all that much hence they don't realize the "own thing" isn't exactly the case.

There's no point in comparing this to any Winter Olympic sport, in my opinion. At least when it comes to the Summer Olympics, it tries to do its own thing.

Also, many people here believe this sport would attract teenagers and I see that there's a clear attempt by the IOC of doing exactly that. However, it has a broader appeal, too.  I'm 37, probably one of the oldest members of this forum, and I still had a blast watching it even when no Brazilians were competing. Of course, everyone is entitled to have his or her own opinions, and I'm not saying everybody will like this, but it's also a mistake to assume that only teenagers will enjoy watching this sport.

27 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Or maybe they're just too old :p

Spoiler

jk

It's just a reality that the programme will change with the times, but no one is obliged to like a new Olympic sport.

8 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

According to our commentators yesterday, there are fixed values for the tricks and judges score how well these are performed according to how much they're worth. I agree that it's not immediately clear which tricks are harder, but maybe it's because of lack of familiarity.

One of the criticisms from the commentators is that the values of the tricks are the same for men and women, and since women perform, at this point, much simpler tricks, their values are much lower than the men's tricks. Even in gymnastics, skills performed by men and by women are scored differently. For example, a double layout somersault on floor is worth 0.6 for women and 0.4 for men. Maybe skateboarding needs this kind of adjustment too.

Another cool addition would be nominating which tricks they are going to perform, pretty much like in diving. So, there could be an animation showing how the trick should be performed before they try it, and how much it's worth in scoring.

There's no point in comparing this to any Winter Olympic sport, in my opinion. At least when it comes to the Summer Olympics, it tries to do its own thing.

Also, many people here believe this sport would attract teenagers and I see that there's a clear attempt by the IOC of doing exactly that. However, it has a broader appeal, too.  I'm 37, probably one of the oldest members of this forum, and I still had a blast watching it even when no Brazilians were competing. Of course, everyone is entitled to have his or her own opinions, and I'm not saying everybody will like this, but it's also a mistake to assume that only teenagers will enjoy watching this sport.

I assume you didn't watch any slopestyle at the Winter OG then. It's okay. But it's like saying baseball & softball shouldn't be compared because they're somehow totally different. That's not gonna work.

13 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

Or maybe they're just too old :p

Hide contents

jk

It's just a reality that the programme will change with the times, but no one is obliged to like a new Olympic sport.

IMO, its not about being old, its about having a taste or esthetics. 

Newer generations, with all due respect, dont have them.

This sport is ugly, just like those new things that technology has invented. Being popular or trending doesnt change anything.

Plus, i dont think that inclusion of those new sports will make OGs more popular among new generations.

But ok, we all have our choices and mine is to skip this "sport".

13 minutes ago, ChandlerMne said:

IMO, its not about being old, its about having a taste or esthetics. 

Newer generations, with all due respect, dont have them.

This sport is ugly, just like those new things that technology has invented. Being popular or trending doesnt change anything.

Plus, i dont think that inclusion of those new sports will make OGs more popular among new generations.

But ok, we all have our choices and mine is to skip this "sport".

Listen, I'm 33, I definitely don't know what kids like these days, but I think it's more likely they're into something like this than, let's say, Modern Pentathlon.

Of course being from an "older" generation, I like all the traditional Olympic sports, but the inclusion of new ones doesn't bother me that much.

9 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

but I think it's more likely they're into something like this than, let's say, Modern Pentathlon.

Perhaps the omly exception. Both skateboarding and Modern Pentathlon are not good at all. If karate was chosen for Paris 2024 in place of skateboarding would have been nicer. 

17 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Perhaps the omly exception. Both skateboarding and Modern Pentathlon are not good at all. If karate was chosen for Paris 2024 in place of skateboarding would have been nicer. 

I totally disagree. I'm glad karate will be gone after Tokyo, and I hope sports climbing is the next one to go.

There are also other sports, like wrestling and badminton, that I wouldn't be sad if they were the next ones to go, either.

You see, it's impossible to create a program that will make the whole world happy.

34 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

Listen, I'm 33, I definitely don't know what kids like these days, but I think it's more likely they're into something like this than, let's say, Modern Pentathlon.

Of course being from an "older" generation, I like all the traditional Olympic sports, but the inclusion of new ones doesn't bother me that much.

I am 40 and have no problem with Olympic skateboarding either.

To the comment that skateboarding is sth that technology invented: skateboarding as an activity existed before even personal computers being widespread, AFAIK.

I have my personal gripes with social media (I think it has irreparably damaged society and political life) but this thing has nothing to do with it.

People were skateboarding way before Instagram, YouTube, Tiktok etc existed.