website statistics

Skateboarding at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

I don't hear a lot of positives about the skateboarding. Hey, who ever thought that adults actually will NOT get excited with random kids competing at the Olympics. I'm sure those medals won by 13 year olds look record-breaking on paper but why give this event an Olympic status? How many 14-15 year olds kids over the world will actually turn on the TV to specifically watch this? Because it sure looks like the adults have better things to follow at the Games.

Coyping of the slopestyle in summer version doesn't work for one reason. At the winter Games usually the same nations dominate the events. At the summer games every nation has something to cheer for w/o having to add anything new. IOC struck out swinging with the skateboarding, I wonder how long appeasing of the 13 year old kids lasts?

1 minute ago, dcro said:

And those children who did tune in would have seen men falling down the staircase without helmets on. Fantastic role models, no doubt.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that too. Yeah, just a complete mishit by IOC when trying to attract new fanbase for whatever reason. I don't see this event having any sort of staying power since in Paris we'll probably see more 13 year old kids.

At least here in Brazil, skateboarding was a HUGE hit and I'm sure Brazilians will RIOT if it gets removed from the Olympics.

I agree that the format of the competition is not great, though. This is the Olympics, not some random best trick competition. Both runs should count, with no discarded scores, and three out of five tricks should also count.

And even though two Brazilian skateboarders got medals, Brazilian fans are in love with the Peruvian male skateboarder and the Filipina skateboarder. This sport needs some adjustments, but I have to say it's now one of the top 5 Olympic sports I'm going to watch, with or without Brazilians competing.

It might be because I'm starting to get used to slopestyle and such, which makes this look a bit...pale. In slopestyle for example, the athletes themselves are the main things moving around and upside down and such, whereas here it's mostly the athletes being fairly static and the board flipping around a little in some tricks. Which is obviously really hard to do, but makes it look much less dynamic.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Maybe the problem is that you guys are trying hard to compare this sport to other sports, while it tries to do its own thing.

24 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

It might be because I'm starting to get used to slopestyle and such, which makes this look a bit...pale. In slopestyle for example, the athletes themselves are the main things moving around and upside down and such, whereas here it's mostly the athletes being fairly static and the board flipping around a little in some tricks. Which is obviously really hard to do, but makes it look much less dynamic.

Wait, aren't you a big fan of ski jumping? :lol::hyper::p:p:p:p