website statistics

Modern Pentathlon at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

Just reading back on the moment of Schleu's drama, which I hadn't done yet. I was surprised how basically everyone seemed to feel mostly sympathy for Schleu, where I expected most people to be, well, disgusted by her. Where does the sympathy come from, even while she was clearly being painfully aggressive towards the poor animal (who one can hardly actually blame)?

No idea where to find a modern pentathlon forum or something, so I'm genuinely curious what the general thoughts about it are among people who follow the sport.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

This is a super expensive sport to train for 

OK running swimming and perhaps shooting may be manageable 

But people from the wrong countries need to go abroad to master fencing   ( even a country like Australia doesn't do fencing )

and anything to do with horses costs big money 

May have made some sense when competitors were Army Officer cadets  last millennium 

Just another sport where money is everything  ( and GB has the biggest budget for all these low hanging fruit sports  )

13 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Just reading back on the moment of Schleu's drama, which I hadn't done yet. I was surprised how basically everyone seemed to feel mostly sympathy for Schleu, where I expected most people to be, well, disgusted by her. Where does the sympathy come from, even while she was clearly being painfully aggressive towards the poor animal (who one can hardly actually blame)?

No idea where to find a modern pentathlon forum or something, so I'm genuinely curious what the general thoughts about it are among people who follow the sport.

Stressed rider = stressed horse. A story that goes back to the ancient times. It's like it was her first time riding a horse.

Casual fans will as usual just blame the horse, because humans must be faultless, naturally. Does anyone actually believe that a pro-rider would have such problems managing a stressed (even naughty), but at the same time a capable horse?

From what I read on the equestrian outlets, Schleu received no sympathy. :p

#banbestmen

20 hours ago, dcro said:

Stressed rider = stressed horse. A story that goes back to the ancient times. It's like it was her first time riding a horse.

Casual fans will as usual just blame the horse, because humans must be faultless, naturally. Does anyone actually believe that a pro-rider would have such problems managing a stressed (even naughty), but at the same time a capable horse?

From what I read on the equestrian outlets, Schleu received no sympathy. :p

Thanks. The question came from the posts here, which were basically all "Poor Schleu, horrible for her :(" and to my surprise, nobody seemed to be in any way negative towards her for mishandling the horse. Good to see she didn't receive sympathy on equestrian outlets :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!