website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

2 minutes ago, rybak said:

Wait a second. I did miss something or Scotland became independent country after all? :mumble: 

Scotland is both an independent country and a member state of the United Kingdom. I’m not quite sure how it all works, but I know they have an independent parliament that passes laws that only affect Scotland.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

19 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Scotland is both an independent country and a member state of the United Kingdom. I’m not quite sure how it all works, but I know they have an independent parliament that passes laws that only affect Scotland.

Scotland is not an independent country. They have less autonomy than an American state or a Canadian province. They have devolved powers, but they can be taken away at will by Parliament.

The confusion is that Scotland (like Wales, England and Northern Ireland) is a country within the context of the United Kingdom, but that’s just what the UK calls it’s top level subdivision. It isn’t a country in the sense of being an independent nation.

5 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Scotland is not an independent country. They have less autonomy than an American state or a Canadian province. They have devolved powers, but they can be taken away at will by Parliament.

The confusion is that Scotland (like Wales, England and Northern Ireland) is a country within the context of the United Kingdom, but that’s just what the UK calls it’s top level subdivision. It isn’t a country in the sense of being an independent nation.

Hey, I’m just going off what all the YouTube geography nerds have told me :p

Like said, I’m not all that familiar with the governing system of the UK.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Never thought I’d write the sentence: “Pope pens Op-Ed in New York Times to criticize the decision of Catholic Supreme Court justices.” But here we are in the year 2020.

On 24/11/2020 at 20:13, rybak said:

Wait a second. I did miss something or Scotland became independent country after all? :mumble: 

Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have the right to do this and other things without the permission of the British government

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Never thought I’d write the sentence: “Pope pens Op-Ed in New York Times to criticize the decision of Catholic Supreme Court justices.” But here we are in the year 2020.

Pope Francis is a left-wing Catholic. He's at odds with mostly right-wing Catholics across the world (because right-wing military juntas in South America oppressed the Catholic Church). That's also why Pope Francis doesn't have much staying power because most Catholics in the world side with right-wing, especially those who experienced the wrath of communism.

8 hours ago, Dragon said:

Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have the right to do this and other things without the permission of the British government

Only as long as the British government lets them. All the devolved powers come from an act of parliament and can be taken away by an act of parliament.

This isn't like the US, Canada or Australia, where the states / provinces have powers that cannot be taken away, interfered with or modified by the central government.