website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

36 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

I am really surprised to see how obsessed many people on here seem to be with US politics in general and the 2020 elections in particular. Are there really non-American people who will stay up all night in the middle of the week to wait for the results?

Well, American politics does effect every country in one way or another

@Agger Thought you may be interested to know there’s a candidate originally from Aarhus on the ballot in LA. She’s running for a judicial position.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Texas Republicans are appealing to a federal judge to throw out 100,000+ ballots cast through curbside voting in Harris County (Houston area). 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

5 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Texas Republicans are appealing to a federal judge to throw out 100,000+ ballots cast through curbside voting in Harris County (Houston area). 

Very normal thing to do in a democracy. Oh, sorry, we are a Republic, not a democracy, so it's totally cool for the partisan  judiciary to pick the president.

21 hours ago, heywoodu said:

In terms of as good as certain electoral votes, it's 234-125 in Biden's advantage. Meaning Biden would need only 36 more, with Pennsylvania (20), Arizona (11), Minnesota, Wisconsin (both 10) and New Hampshire (4) being states which aren't counted in the 234 but where Biden seems to have the upper hand. Two of those would already be enough if one out of Florida, Georgia or North Carolina goes to him.

It does look a lot better than it did for Clinton indeed, although Clinton was on her way to the win halfway through the night four years ago. I personally love 270towin.com, here's the map in which I've filled in the 'certain' states (darker colours), the states in which there's a slight favourite in between 'certain' and 'toss-up' (lighter colours) and the true toss-ups (grey).

No doubt that things are looking very good and even if polling is off by the same as 4 years ago, Biden would end up af 319 electoral votes. Except for Minnesota, Biden is looking better in all batleground states than Clinton did 4 years ago.

21 hours ago, Federer91 said:

There is a logical explanation for this, which we will see Tuesday as well.  The first results that come in contain the Mail sent and pre-election votes, which are skewing more Democrat, while the GOP in person, election votes come at the back half of the counting. 

Especially in Florida, it has been noted in the last days, that the early results Tuesday, will show a Biden lead, but that won't mean much, because it would be mostly the Mail votes. 

That really depends on the counting. Florida will surely look more democratic and get tighter as election day votes start ticking in. Meanwhile Pennsylvania will by all means look more republican in the beginning as early voting is only proccesed on election night.

14 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

@Agger Thought you may be interested to know there’s a candidate originally from Aarhus on the ballot in LA. She’s running for a judicial position.

Interesting. Who is she? :p

12 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

The fact that election rules aren't clear long before the election really is one of the weirdest (and most worrying things) about US elections.

Meanwhile in more local news. Yesterday my party had the first round of selections for the election in Aarhus next year. Here I was selected for 5th place meaning that I am set to be one of our main candidates for the election.

And this is in what I would call our strongest field in my time where we had 9 candidates for the top 5 spots (including 2 for leading candidate)! :d

On election night it's up to the voters who will be elected meaning that in many ways the position doesn't really matter that much, but the top 5 will be getting the most attention.

7 hours ago, Agger said:

No doubt that things are looking very good and even if polling is off by the same as 4 years ago, Biden would end up af 319 electoral votes. Except for Minnesota, Biden is looking better in all batleground states than Clinton did 4 years ago.

It my opinion, polls will be off, just like in 2016. It is well known that there is a large amount of Trump supporters that do not publicly state their affiliation in fear of being judged, confronted, ostracized in the community, fired from their jobs. Right now, if i have to make a balanced prediction, Trumps wins everything he carried in 2016 minus Michigan. In this case, he can afford to lose one other medium state like a Wisconsin or Arizona.