website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

16 hours ago, Vic Liu said:

I wonder why almost no western countries admit Nagorno-Karabakh as an independent country or at least show their support of Armenian separatist. Because for me, the situation of Karabakh is very similar to Kosovo. They both are ethnical minority groups of their original country and have very strong determination to be independent. And the origin of the dispute is also similar, it's the reverse of historical migration and settlement between majority and minority ethnical groups. Usually western countries will show support for the weaker minority side. If so, it will definitely help end this humanitarian disaster with civilians randomly dying everyday.

Why do the European countries have to take side? We have international organizations who are responsible for evaluating situations like that and I am sure that all the experts on here (who think that they can have a clear opinion on every geopolitical conflict) know for example about the United Nations Security Council‘s position ... 

Personally I think that if European people/politicians would realize that they can’t „save“ the whole world and that it is not their responsibility to do it, a lot of things would get much easier. The only responsibility of European politicians is to serve their own people and to make life as easy as possible for them. You can’t force other countries to take over your values and if the people in those countries want change, they have to make it happen on their own.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

34 minutes ago, phelps said:

things are always much simpler than those involved wants people to think...

p.s. I just wondered when your reply was coming (that it was coming wasn't even in the odds) after I named Germany and their not so morally clean interests/behaviours (p.p.s. not saying that Italy, that's on the same positions as GER and the whole western world on this things, is better than anyone...just underlying that sometimes -almost always- those who claim to be the good expample, the virtuous party are actually the most dirty party)...

The United Nation‘s Security Council has a clear position on this matter.

1) Why should European countries oppose that position?

2) Why is the only possible reason for European countries not opposing that position that Germany „forbid“ them to do it, especially since you admit that other European countries (Italy included) are in the same boat and therefore also wouldn’t have an interest to be on Armenia‘s side?

Obviously Germany (Europe) is somewhat dependent on Turkey when it comes to the whole refugee problem, but I am not sure why you think that this would be the only possible reason for them not supporting Armenia. 

Like I said: Your world view is way too simplistic. Just because Germany (Europe) is somewhat dependent on Turkey doesn’t mean that this is the only possible reason for not going against them. Turkey and Russia for example over the past couple of years have fought both on the same and different sides in various conflicts. Just because you are on one country‘s side in a certain conflict doesn’t mean that you have to be on the same side in a different conflict.

Your criticism might have been more appropriate on a different matter, for example when Germany didn’t really bother to do anything against Turkey‘s „invasion“ in Syria (possibly because Germany was afraid that Turkey would open the gates for Syrian refugees). In the end i believe that morality has no place in (foreign) politics. Every country should have certain values that it stands for and you have to defend those values in your home country, but it is not your job to tell other countries what they should do at home. In this day and age it is impossible to survive as a country while  only interacting with other countries on the same level concerning morality. Germany for example couldn’t get gas/oil if they would only do business with democracies and if you want to get less dependent on those countries by switching to renewable energies, you will have to do business with African countries where you have child Labour and a lot of other bad stuff. It is a dilemma you can’t get out of. The goal should be to reduce the dependency as much as possible.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

5 hours ago, Dnl said:

Trump and his nomination for Nobel prize (and for good reason unlike Obama..) is only one great example of his strong foreign policies, on global scale he has done a lot and no one can take it from him.

Yep, nothing says champion of foreign policy like:

- pulling the U.S. out of the Paris Accords

- pulling the U.S. out of the WHO (during a global pandemic)

- betraying the Kurds, our one solid ally in the Middle East

- cuddling up to Saudi Arabia after they murdered a journalist working for a U.S. publication

- calling multiple countries “shitholes”

- banning people from multiple countries from entering the U.S. (primarily because of the religion they practice)

- refusing to give asylum to refugees or even conduct the process in the correct manner under international law

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

In an effort to remind Young Americans to vote, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez decided to play “Among Us” with some popular Twitch streamers and US Rep. Ilhan Omar. I’d say it’s going pretty well :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I have nothing against AOC but this comes off just as desperate as anything politicians have done to show that they are "one of us". I cringe at the notion that the next generation of politicians will promote themselves with stunts like these. 

1 hour ago, Vektor said:

I have nothing against AOC but this comes off just as desperate as anything politicians have done to show that they are "one of us". I cringe at the notion that the next generation of politicians will promote themselves with stunts like these. 

While she obviously did this for political reasons (trying to get more people to vote/raise her profile), she really did do her best to just play a genuine/entertaining game. She came off as very relatable. I know this was a political “stunt,” but it really did seem to bring a smile to many people’s faces in year where there hasn’t been much to smile about.

16 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yep, nothing says champion of foreign policy like:

- pulling the U.S. out of the Paris Accords

- pulling the U.S. out of the WHO (during a global pandemic)

- betraying the Kurds, our one solid ally in the Middle East

- cuddling up to Saudi Arabia after they murdered a journalist working for a U.S. publication

- calling multiple countries “shitholes”

- banning people from multiple countries from entering the U.S. (primarily because of the religion they practice)

- refusing to give asylum to refugees or even conduct the process in the correct manner under international law

Hasn't that been the US policy since WW-2? Also, am not a fan of Trump or Netanyahu but don't you think if President Obama or Biden would have brokered the current Israel-Arab normalization, they would be hailed as the greatest Foreign Policy Champion? 

Today we "returned to the Middle Ages" as Constitutional Court decided that abortion is illegal in case if the fetus is damaged or doesn't have an part of body, has Down's syndrome or is even dead as constitution says that "everyone has the right to life" :facepalm:

Now womens will have trauma when they will give birth to dead or seriously disabled baby :hairpull:

Now abortion is legal only in case if pregnancy can affected seriously on health/life of the women and if fetus is consequence of rape and incest...

12 minutes ago, rybak said:

Today we "returned to the Middle Ages" as Constitutional Court decided that abortion is illegal in case if the fetus is damaged or doesn't have an part of body, has Down's syndrome or is even dead as constitution says that "everyone has the right to life" :facepalm:

So change the Constitution.

7 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

So change the Constitution.

It won't happen in this case as leading party PiS is overally against any abortion even in case of rape... And they have the biggest amount of deputies in the Sejm, so...

Only one hope is in the Senate, that they can reject some laws suggested by Sejm, but it's still long way.

And still President have the final word and have to accept any changes in the Constitution, but he is supported by leading party.