website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Is there any list of things that qualify for that? Because the three examples sound....not very interesting (to me, surely to some people it does) :p 

I listed the classes I was considering taking for that requirement :d

Yes, there’s a list, but I can’t find it at the minute. I’m not in “semester planning” mode right now, so I have all my paperwork scattered around :d

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

US Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg has passed away this evening :cry:

This has huge consequences for American politics. Trump will most likely be able to nominate his third judge to the Supreme Court. He actually released a list of potential picks not that long ago, and they were mostly far-right. In that scenario, conservatives will have a 6-3 majority in the Supreme Court. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I fear we’re about to see a very, very partisan fight over who the next Supreme Court justice will be.

6 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

This has huge consequences for American politics. Trump will most likely be able to nominate his third judge to the Supreme Court. He actually released a list of potential picks not that long ago, and they were mostly far-right. In that scenario, conservatives will have a 6-3 majority in the Supreme Court. 

And this will further radicalize everybody.

7 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

by the way, she's been very, very selfish...

she could have resigned a few years ago (when Obama suggested her to do it, as she was already really compromised with her disease) to leave gher place to a younger judge with her same ideas, but she didn't even consider that...

and now you're going to face Trump's possible "blitz" to hire a new far-right member to the Supreme Court (however I just read that the average time to confirm a new SC judge is 2 months and Trump only has 6 weeks time to put his candidate on, so there's a chance to save the world with proper time wasting tactics by the Dems)...

p.s. imho, the role of the Supreme Court judges in the US is too important to have them nominated just by the President's will (and basically automatically ratified by the Senate)...

you should just change the election rules, so to have a list of candidates named by both sides and then voted by the Senate/whole Parliament, with the one gathering the most votes being elected, but only if he/she reaches at least the 66.6% + 1 vote...

this would be a lot better than now...

11 minutes ago, phelps said:

and now you're going to face Trump's possible "blitz" to hire a new far-right member to the Supreme Court (however I just read that the average time to confirm a new SC judge is 2 months and Trump only has 6 weeks time to put his candidate on, so there's a chance to save the world with proper time wasting tactics by the Dems)...

Doesn't his current term last until January no matter what?

From what I know, the elections are held in November, however the actual new term only starts in January (on the inauguration day).

#banbestmen

And yeah, I wonder if RBG destroyed her own legacy with these decisions (or poor judgements of her own abilities, if you will...).

Two years ago a hagiography about her somehow got Oscar-nominated, but right now it feels like her aura just went down.

#banbestmen

22 minutes ago, dcro said:

Doesn't his current term last until January no matter what?

From what I know, the elections are held in November, however the actual new term only starts in January (on the inauguration day).

yes, but after the elections he can't choose a Supreme Court judge anymore, he can only keep the "ordinary administration" (unless the US enter an official war...in that case he mantains his "commander in chief" role with full power) with no more chance to sign "special acts" like that...

at least, this is what I read on the Italian newspapers about this question...

4 hours ago, phelps said:

yes, but after the elections he can't choose a Supreme Court judge anymore, he can only keep the "ordinary administration" (unless the US enter an official war...in that case he mantains his "commander in chief" role with full power) with no more chance to sign "special acts" like that...

at least, this is what I read on the Italian newspapers about this question...

I believe he can still nominate a judge until his term expires in January.

There’s a few Americans presidents that are famous for stacking the courts the night before they leave the White House as a nice “fuck you” to the next guy.

6 hours ago, NearPup said:

And this will further radicalize everybody.

Yes, this will absolutely further radicalize everyone.