website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

On 11/08/2020 at 16:26, Grassmarket said:

Errrm.....how did she get her start in politics?  Because she was a dedicated public servant or because she was sleeping with the Mayor of San Francisco?

Update: I do need to apologize - to you in fact.  Someone your age who reads nothing but the leftist media will very likely not ever have heard of that particular story, since the US media & even the BBC go  to extraordinary efforts to cover it up.

It was common knowledge back in the day - here’s a local SF newspaper story about it from 2003.

https://archives.sfweekly.com/sanfrancisco/kamalas-karma/Content?oid=2149429

There are a lot of people who get appointed to rando state boards or who are the district attorney for a large city. Very few of them make it to the top of California politics (governor of California or senator from California are among the hardest jobs to get in US politics - heck, being elected attorney general of California is in and of itself a feat) and all that happened well after her fling / sugar baby (call it what you want) relationship with Willie Brown, and well beyond where his power laid.

11 hours ago, Dnl said:

2020 keep surprising....

This is somehow both shocking and completely unsurprising. It feels like the conflict between the US allied Arab countries and Israel have been phony for a very long time. But the symbolism of this move is really striking.

22 minutes ago, NearPup said:

This is somehow both shocking and completely unsurprising. It feels like the conflict between the US allied Arab countries and Israel have been phony for a very long time. But the symbolism of this move is really striking.

Yeah, I was really shocked by it too honestly. I don’t know what Trump’s role in this was per say, but it seems like a major win for his administration. It will be interesting to see how other Arab countries respond to this. I honestly won’t be shocked one bit if either the UAE is kicked out of the GCC, or all the Arab countries scramble to make peace with Israel as fast as they can to look good internationally. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

29 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yeah, I was really shocked by it too honestly. I don’t know what Trump’s role in this was per say, but it seems like a major win for his administration. It will be interesting to see how other Arab countries respond to this. I honestly won’t be shocked one bit if either the UAE is kicked out of the GCC, or all the Arab countries scramble to make peace with Israel as fast as they can to look good internationally. 

MbS and MbZ are quite close to each other. There is no chance that UAE took this step without discussing with Saudis. I fully expect Saudis to have similar deal soon. Also, it is not just about looking good internationally, it is about better defined camps in anticipation of war: USA+Arabs+Israel vs Iran+Turkey+China. 

Trump, Netanyahu and MbZ would have been front-runners for this years Nobel Peace Prize but I am sure 1) This year's Nobel would go to Covid Warriors and 2) There is no way Nobel Committee's politics would allow them to honour Trump and Bibi. 

1 hour ago, NearPup said:

There are a lot of people who get appointed to rando state boards or who are the district attorney for a large city. Very few of them make it to the top of California politics (governor of California or senator from California are among the hardest jobs to get in US politics - heck, being elected attorney general of California is in and of itself a feat) and all that happened well after her fling / sugar baby (call it what you want) relationship with Willie Brown, and well beyond where his power laid.

I’m afraid your answer just shows how corrupt modern politics is.   She got her start in politics by sleeping with her boss who appointed her to two jobs with extremely high pay & no work, for which she had no other qualifications.   Since both these jobs involved granting permission for businesses to do things, she naturally attracted even more bribe money & political support from the bribe-payers.  

Trump’s strategy to win the election seems to be to kill the US Postal Service, so that states can’t issue mail-in ballots (to allow people to vote from home, which some states already do anyways), so that everyone has to gather together, en masse at in-person polling centers, during a global pandemic, which the US is most affected by, to make their vote in a general election. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela