website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

33 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Important to note in the context of a potential political boycott of Beijing 2022.

As expected, China is not like the other countries, it's always ready to retaliate against american privocations.

22 minutes ago, opruh said:

As expected, China is not like the other countries, it's always ready to retaliate against american privocations.

US and China still have many consulates in each other's territory. Houston and Chengdu are both relatively smaller ones, so China chose to keep some space for potential de-escalation. Many people urger government to close Hong Kong consulate but government is still calm on this. Anyway, before the re-election no possibility of any forms of de-escalation. 

The debate if new cold-war is avoidable/unavoidable/already begun is a heat topic in China. I am an optimist and I think if democrats won, we would be back on table to negotiate. Some of my friends think cold war is a consensus of American politicians and it's not about morality/ideology just purely about world No.1 status battle. I wonder what you guys think on this issue. 

4 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

US and China still have many consulates in each other's territory. Houston and Chengdu are both relatively smaller ones, so China chose to keep some space for potential de-escalation. Many people urger government to close Hong Kong consulate but government is still calm on this. Anyway, before the re-election no possibility of any forms of de-escalation. 

The debate if new cold-war is avoidable/unavoidable/already begun is a heat topic in China. I am an optimist and I think if democrats won, we would be back on table to negotiate. Some of my friends think cold war is a consensus of American politicians and it's not about morality/ideology just purely about world No.1 status battle. I wonder what you guys think on this issue. 

Both countries have a severe case of wanting to see who's got the biggest and should start behaving like adults instead of annoying teenagers. I know that's an impossible thing to ask from both though, but one can hope.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Both countries have a severe case of wanting to see who's got the biggest and should start behaving like adults instead of annoying teenagers. I know that's an impossible thing to ask from both though, but one can hope.

I missed the Obama era when we kept orally condemning each other ONLY

22 hours ago, heywoodu said:

It would help if pompeo would stop attacking China's government for at least one day. He's been tweeting China bad 24/7 and wishing so badly for the pro-CPC Chinese public to suddenly overthrow the government lmao. I bet the Chinese diplomats are both amused and weirded out by pompeo's behavior. 

I don’t think this is what Trump had in mind when he wanted Americans to build a wall :p

For those not following the situation in Portland, it’s been a scary escalation from the federal government. Trump sent “secret” (unmarked, camo wearing) federal police to arrest protestors. They used unmarked cars to transport protestors to unknown locations. The last week has seen various groups come to the defense of those protesting. It began with the “Wall of moms” protecting America’s youth, and grew from there.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

22 minutes ago, opruh said:

It would help if pompeo would stop attacking China's government for at least one day. He's been tweeting China bad 24/7 and wishing so badly for the pro-CPC Chinese public to suddenly overthrow the government lmao. I bet the Chinese diplomats are both amused and weirded out by pompeo's behavior. 

I think Chinese diplomats and government are getting numb to him and only focusing what actions US take not what they say or tweet. The Pompeo' speech couple of days before would been considered as the declaration of cold war if it took place 2-3 years before, but currently no one took it seriously. People are more weirded out by the closure of Houston consulate. 

And here's the Portland read-out from yesterday/last night.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/07/24/portland-riots-read-out-july-24

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 hours ago, heywoodu said:

And here's the Portland read-out from yesterday/last night.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/07/24/portland-riots-read-out-july-24

What a load of bullshit.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

22 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

What a load of bullshit.

Yep, like most things the actual truth is probably somewhere in between the two obviously biased 'stories'. Glad I don't live there and hopefully it dies down quickly.