website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

49 minutes ago, hckosice said:

btw have you by any chance seen any Slovak police officers trolling in Croatia ? as every year we already send a whole brigade to "monitor" the security of slovak citizens and if necessary to solve their problems

Nope, never. :p

Come to think about it. This year I even saw a Latvian registration, but still can't remember any from SVK. :mumble: Although, a lot of them are coming with a special daily party train from Prague. :d

#banbestmen

I must say I don't follow it all super closely, but this sounds exactly like what's been happening in the Netherlands for years :p 

5 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Defund the Police. This doesn’t mean get rid of them. This means that we take money from their budget, and put it towards initiatives and services etc

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I must say I don't follow it all super closely, but this sounds exactly like what's been happening in the Netherlands for years :p 

QGF52rl.png

Just to clarify: I didn't mean it in a positive light. The result is more and more street crime (by rather agressive youths especially) since police doesn't have enough money to really hire enough people to do much against it.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

QGF52rl.png

Just to clarify: I didn't mean it in a positive light. The result is more and more street crime (by rather agressive youths especially) since police doesn't have enough money to really hire enough people to do much against it.

I know. 

Part of it is the way immigration has been handled in Europe I think. European governments allow a limited number of immigrants in, which puts pressure on the system. More immigrants try to come “illegally,” which puts more pressure on the system. Those immigrants (for both groups) are settled in ghettos and inner city areas. They have high expectations placed upon them by Europeans, yet they are given very little to get economically stable, on top of other needs like food security, social services, healthcare, etc. They aren’t given the same opportunities as other people within the country, and so they have to resort to other methods of making ends meet. The added xenophobia of Europeans works to justify their beliefs that the system does not care about them, and so they don’t feel bad about fucking the system. Crime rates go up because people have no other way of making living. Then, over time, as more people are born into these communities, these values are taught to them by their families, through a lack of proper education, through a further lack of opportunity, and, of course, police brutality towards their communities.

It’s no different in the U.S. People around the world seem to have this concept that strict punishment, forceful action, and militarization will stop crime. These actions have suppressed crime rates (I.e. they do keep people in line), but they’ve done very little to solve any of the actual issues that lead people to crime. If we actually wanted to prevent crime, we’d try to find and solve the root causes. However, they would take a lot of effort, and it wouldn’t yield instantaneous results. It would require, most likely, a lot of trial and error. It require a massive amount of research, and policy adjustments. However, it would make a lot of serious progress towards making our communities safer, towards providing more opportunities for the general populace, towards a more educated society, etc. But that plan requires time, effort, commitment, sacrifice, legislation, etc. People want a better society, but they don’t want to have to put in the work to archive it, so I’m not helpful we’ll ever get to point where that’s possible.

Also, I don’t want to get rid of police. They have an incredibly important job, and they do provide security for many communities. I want a system that uses social services, research, and legislation to investigate and attempt to prevent the root causes of crime, while utilizing our police forces to fight crime and keep peace. That’s what I mean when I say “Defund the Police.” I’m saying we should reform the system.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Agger said:

So, Kanye West shows just how serious the candidacy was, as it seems like he has already dropped out

Aaaaand apparently he has now registered as 'Birthday Party'. Not unsurprisingly rumours about his mental state are getting rather strong.

Our "new" president in first days after his reelection was a "victim" of famous Russian pranksters....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/07/15/polish-president-fooled-russian-phone-pranksters-claiming-un/

Government also returns to their normal behaviour and attacks verbally deputies from other political parties. Leading party PiS today also submitted a bill to ban Halloween in Poland after receiving an anonymous petition....  This bill would include imprisonment for celebrating Halloween because it's contrary with local culture:facepalm::wall::hairpull:

It will be very nice 3 years for us...