website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

11 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

The government isn’t and hasn’t done shit for years though, so I feel like people have a right to be pissed. Like I said, it’s unfortunate they punished people not directly involved in this incident, but it’s even more unfortunate that terrible governance and racial violence led us here. Action needs to be taken, but we need to be smart about. We should be out in streets from 5AM-9PM protesting, but it would be helpful for the cause if people stopped burning building down and raiding Target.

Yes, a right to be pissed - like I had already said in exactly the post you quoted. Not a right to burn down the city and use this as an opportunity for nothing else but stealing stuff and destroying other people's property. They are indeed very much messing up George Floyd's memory with this.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

9 hours ago, LDOG said:

Came to see what the opinions here were and was not surprised to see heywoodu, Federer more worried about tvs being stolen lol   

If you think that's the main point I'm worried about, you haven't read my posts right at all. I'm worried about things like George Floyd's death happening in the first place (I've made that quite abundantly clear), and about people worsening the situation by rampaging through a city which can do nothing more but cause more victims and in the end cause more situations like exactly the one that started these specific riots.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

There’s no innocent policemen.

In this situation, you mean, surely? Because people like the psycho that killed Floyd are definitely not your average policeman, just take a look around on internet where arguably a lot more policemen dare speak up (because anonymously) than on the street. Your average policeman would have cuffed the guy and transported him to the station or something, not kneeled in his neck.

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

In this situation, you mean, surely? Because people like the psycho that killed Floyd are definitely not your average policeman, just take a look around on internet where arguably a lot more policemen dare speak up (because anonymously) than on the street. Your average policeman would have cuffed the guy and transported him to the station or something, not kneeled in his neck.

Check my last post. He may not be “your average policeman”, but how was a allowed to amass 18 misconduct counts to his name, and still be allowed to serve. This isn’t even that uncommon of a situation. In fairness, the average policeman would have just shot the guy probably.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

Check my last post. He may not be “your average policeman”, but how was a allowed to amass 18 misconduct counts to his name, and still be allowed to serve. This isn’t even that uncommon of a situation. In fairness, the average policeman would have just shot the guy probably.

Ok.

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

Ok.

I know you’re not from here, but I’m telling you what it’s like. I’ve grown up on the better side of town, but I know what happens on the poor side.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

There are probably tens of thousands of policemen in America. If your average policeman really shoots first and asks questions later, then modern day America would have been even more lawless than the Wild West.

Like I said, generalizations usually represent the root in such issues. One can argue it's also the liberal gun laws which can awaken the killer instinct in people. Temporary insanity is probably in the cards, legally speking, but I guess these protestors will sooner like to see the policeman crucified rather than the main issue addressed.

Esssentially, answering generalization with another generalization against the people you don't like is not an answer...

#banbestmen

12 minutes ago, dcro said:

There are probably tens of thousands of policemen in America. If your average policeman really shoots first and asks questions later, then modern day America would have been even more lawless than the Wild West.

They don’t generally shot first ask questions later, but they do have a poor track record.

13 minutes ago, dcro said:

Like I said, generalizations usually represent the root in such issues. One can argue it's also the liberal gun laws which can awaken the killer instinct in people. Temporary insanity is probably in the cards, legally speking, but I guess these protestors will sooner like to see the policeman crucified rather than the main issue addressed.

Oh for sure, there’s multiple studies that say our basically free access to guns increases our deadly crime rate. Police also view sensitivity training as a joke, so they haven’t really excelled at handing “special needs” arrests either. There’s no one main issue here by the way. I’ve said it time and time again, we haven’t made any social legislation outside of Obamacare (which the GOP has worked tirelessly to appeal), since the 1990s. There’s a lot of badly needed registration, but the country has grown too ideologically divided to make those changes happen. 

Twitter trolling Trump is pretty fun to watch, one can just imagine the almost literal steam coming out of his ears.