website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

6 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Are you on the streets protesting?

No, I have University finals to take today, and there won’t be protests in LA probably. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Will Trump take action on Covid-19? No. Will Trump take action on school shootings? No. Will Trump take action the on healthcare system? No. Will Trump take action on police brutality? No. 

Will Trump sign a most likely partisan executive order that will attempt to kill free speech on social media, or the ability of social media to fact-check the words of government officials? Probably yes.

I would imagine this will affect non-Americans to since Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, etc. are all American companies. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I’m just can’t.

For the record, they announced this while meeting through video conference since the risk of Covid-19 transmission was too high to meet in-person.

In other less frustrating news, the U.S will no longer recognize Hong Kong as autonomous after PR China signs that controversial bill tomorrow. Plus, we’ll charge the First Lady of Venezuela with drug trafficking.

6 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

No, I have University finals to take today, and there won’t be protests in LA probably. 

Guess I was wrong :yikes:

One protestors injured. Police had one of their car windows smashed after and altercation.

Hopefully they quickly find and lock up these people. The tragedy is not a reason to literally tear apart a store, that's just looking for an excuse to be a criminal.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

13 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Not sure why you think that populous countries should have advantages in technology and research, but many countries that are doing great in those areas are rather small countries (Switzerland, Norway, Sweden, Israel, Ireland, Finland, Singapore, the Netherlands). I also don't think that you can trust the official death stats in the US. I saw some stat today that in many states there have been far more pneumonia deaths than usual those last couple of months. For example in Indiana there were 2149 pneumonia deaths, while the five year average is 384. In Illinois there were 3984 pneumonia deaths, while the five year average is 782, and so on ...

Either you believe that this is a coincidence unrelated to coronavirus or you have to assume that the deaths are massively undercounted in the US. I think a conservative guess for the real number of deaths would be 150 000.

it's have to do a lot with quality not quantity it's the use of the population and the use of some advantages in order to make the most of anything really

10 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’m just can’t.

For the record, they announced this while meeting through video conference since the risk of Covid-19 transmission was too high to meet in-person.

Man, I'm happy that I live in a country where pretty close to everybody trusts the voting

It's truly magnificent seeing Trump being certain that mail-in votes means voter fraud while pretty much everybody around him use it!

5 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Hopefully they quickly find and lock up these people. The tragedy is not a reason to literally tear apart a store, that's just looking for an excuse to be a criminal.

That was just day one as well. The state is going to bring the National Guard in, which could trigger race riots. We also saw tense protests in cities like Memphis and LA last night. People are upset.

15 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

That was just day one as well. The state is going to bring the National Guard in, which could trigger race riots. We also saw tense protests in cities like Memphis and LA last night. People are upset.

Yeah, this needs to be controlled fast, before more shops are destroyed by people who only see this as an opportunity to get free stuff, and before not only the poor dude is a victim, but the riots themselves cause victims as well..

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!