website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

3 hours ago, Monzanator said:

In a country with such liberal gun rights I find it not surprising that police acts so brutally. There is way too much risk a policeman gets shots on someone's back yard as people can store a whole gun arsenal in their living room.

In such countries like Poland where gun access is as strict as they come there is no such problem. We've had like one case over the past several years when some petty criminal and suspected drug dealer got tasered and died due to a cardiac arrest. That's just about it.

It’s much more than just a gun issue, but your absolutely right about that compounding it. We have a terrible police culture in this country as well. Plus, you can add in factors like racial inequality, poverty, and mental health issues. It’s just bad all-around and the summary executions of black people by officers is just another consequence like school shooting or the opioid epidemic.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

It’s much more than just a gun issue, but your absolutely right about that compounding it. We have a terrible police culture in this country as well. Plus, you can add in factors like racial inequality, poverty, and mental health issues. It’s just bad all-around and the summary executions of black people by officers is just another consequence like school shooting or the opioid epidemic.

USA has made their own bed and no political party is willing to strike the Second Amendment. down. All this talk about progress and everyone is willing to stick to something that's been written in 1791 when you could fire two bullets in 90 seconds :crazy:

On 25/05/2020 at 10:15, Monzanator said:

Budget of New York is 86 billion USD, budget of New Zealand is 30 billion USD. This is a no-contest who has a tougher job, Cuomo or Ardern :lol:

New Zealand is the biggest dairy products exporter in the world. Dairy products combine for 53% of their income. As long as people around the world eat butter and drink milk, they will be very fine economically regardless of who's in charge - a decent person or not so decent :p

So hopefully not for long ... wouldn't mind if everyone would stop eating dairy + there is actually a way to produce dairy products in a laboratory.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/02/science/lab-grown-milk.html

I think New Zealand will be find if they can keep attracting super-rich like Peter Thiel ...

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

8 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

So hopefully not for long ... wouldn't mind if everyone would stop eating dairy + there is actually a way to produce dairy products in a laboratory.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/02/science/lab-grown-milk.html

I think New Zealand will be find if they can keep attracting super-rich like Peter Thiel ...

EU basically told GMO food from USA to fuck off though :lol:  Americans will have to find a new market for their crap.

On 25/05/2020 at 12:39, rajiv said:

I don't see how population size of a country has much to do with anything . Rich populous countries such as USA should have advantages in technology and research that small population countries -whether rich or not -don't have .

American covid deaths on a per capita basis are run of the mill with Western European numbers  -neither particularly  better or worse  ( I think deaths per million is the key stat )

America's problem -if I may say so - are mainly to do with that the country is becoming ungovernable being composed of several tribes who simply can't get on with each other . All countries have a shelf life - maybe USA is reaching it's use by date 

Countries like Australia and NZ are high trust societies -this makes all the difference 

India ,as always, is a mess 

Not sure why you think that populous countries should have advantages in technology and research, but many countries that are doing great in those areas are rather small countries (Switzerland, Norway, Sweden, Israel, Ireland, Finland, Singapore, the Netherlands). I also don't think that you can trust the official death stats in the US. I saw some stat today that in many states there have been far more pneumonia deaths than usual those last couple of months. For example in Indiana there were 2149 pneumonia deaths, while the five year average is 384. In Illinois there were 3984 pneumonia deaths, while the five year average is 782, and so on ...

Either you believe that this is a coincidence unrelated to coronavirus or you have to assume that the deaths are massively undercounted in the US. I think a conservative guess for the real number of deaths would be 150 000.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

23 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

EU basically told GMO food from USA to fuck off though :lol:  Americans will have to find a new market for their crap.

Will be interesting to see which way the UK goes after leaving the EU. I think they could follow the american/canadian lead (concerning genetically modified food) closely. I also wouldn't call products like the one i mentioned crap. I believe that the future of animal products belongs to products produced in a lab, it would solve a lot of problems.

15 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

There is a good chance that this is the most upset I’ve been in my life. I saying things that I am so going to regret tomorrow, but I’m so sick and tired of this country. This election will honestly improve nothing most likely (I mean, I hope it does, but I feel like that’s asking a lot). I’m so depressed right now.

Are you on the streets protesting?

10 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Will be interesting to see which way the UK goes after leaving the EU. I think they could follow the american/canadian lead (concerning genetically modified food) closely. I also would call products like the one i mentioned crap. I believe that the future of animal products belongs to products produced in a lab, it would solve a lot of problems.

It would perhaps solve problems in poor African or Asian countries which however don't have money to pay for it. And those GMO producers are unwilling to hand out food for free while the rich EU is unwilling to pay for this crap since that would collapse the agricultural market in Europe. People are not that desperate to pay more for a milk from the lab, they would rather herd millions of cows instead :p

6 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

It would perhaps solve problems in poor African or Asian countries which however don't have money to pay for it. And those GMO producers are unwilling to hand out food for free while the rich EU is unwilling to pay for this crap since that would collapse the agricultural market in Europe. People are not that desperate to pay more for a milk from the lab, they would rather herd millions of cows instead :p

1) In the future meat produced in the lab will be cheaper than traditional meat.

2) It would greatly help with climate change.

3) It would also greatly help with preventing future possible pandemics. If western countries keep pumping their animals full with antibiotics, then it is only a matter of time until a pandemic will start in a western country.

2 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

1) In the future meat produced in the lab will be cheaper than traditional meat.

2) It would greatly help with climate change.

It won't be cheaper if GMO gains monopoly over naturally grown food. Monopolists always raise the prices. Same happens with LPG vehicles, it was set to replace gasoline as the "fuel of the future" and now the prices are rocketing so much the LPG car rentals are shutting down hand over fist because it makes no economical sense to rent LPG cars for free anymore. Same will happen with GMO food that simply won't get cheaper. More technology involved means a higher cost.