website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

I want to start a petition to reallocate all the California conservatives to North Korea so they can see what real tyranny looks like. If being asked not to meet in groups, or go to beach or movies just for a few months to protect the public is their version of tyranny, then they’re going to be in for a real shell shock in North Korea. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 hours ago, opruh said:

Lol at people thinking cnn is not fake news. 

Enlighten us, which media outlets are reliable?

Spoiler

And the standard "you have to find out on your own" is not an answer, that's only done by people who can't actually answer it but try to hide that.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

Enlighten us, which media outlets are reliable?

Reveal hidden contents

Nowadays basically no media are 100% objective and your favored media could precisely feed what you want based on your taste. Accessing different major media in different countries is what I can do to try to balance different views. CNN is fake news media is more like a joke to imitate Trump but CNN is truly the first mainstream media to report the rumor and tigger lots of small media to make up stories for clicks. I don't like this "according to our reliable source" reporting style and I feel like jeering it because of this misinformation. But I would not say everything it report is fake and worthless reading, on the contrary, it's a major tool to know and understand American liberals views.

Let's see, so rt is fake news, cnn is fake news but worse, fox is the worst, al jazeera is fake news, cgtn and bbc too (cant trust most of government owned). :) Evey news outlet out there spews propaganda to brainwash people to think that a certain group of people, government or country is evil. Of course the one with the most developed and widespread network of media outlets is most likely the worst offender when it comes to spreading fake news.

8 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

Nowadays basically no media are 100% objective and your favored media could precisely feed what you want based on your taste. Accessing different major media in different countries is what I can do to try to balance different views. CNN is fake news media is more like a joke to imitate Trump but CNN is truly the first mainstream media to report the rumor and tigger lots of small media to make up stories for clicks. I don't like this "according to our reliable source" reporting style and I feel like jeering it because of this misinformation. But I would not say everything it report is fake and worthless reading, on the contrary, it's a major tool to know and understand American liberals views.

Sure, but some media outlets are known to simply report more lies than others. Not lies as in 'not my opinion', but lies as in 'things that are simply, factually speaking not true'. This is generally a pretty good one to get an idea of where media stand:

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/

And a more visual yet also very useful version:

Spoiler

Media-Bias-Chart_4.0_8_28_2018-min.jpg

Bigger version here.

The more in the bottom half something is and the more to the right or left, the better it is to stay away from it. Obviously bullshit sites like Infowars are somewhere in a bottom corner :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 hours ago, opruh said:

Let's see, so rt is fake news, cnn is fake news but worse, fox is the worst, al jazeera is fake news, cgtn and bbc too (cant trust most of government owned). :) Evey news outlet out there spews propaganda to brainwash people to think that a certain group of people, government or country is evil. Of course the one with the most developed and widespread network of media outlets is most likely the worst offender when it comes to spreading fake news.

I’m sorry but that’s just simply not true. Journalists job is not to brainwash people. Now many journalists might have an objective to their story (I.e I run a story about how there haven’t been enough Covid tests in Nevada (that is completely factually correct), with the hope that Nevada then starts testing more people). 

I will absolutely agree that CNN’s and Fox’s editorial standards are low, but Al Jazeera and BBC have a high rate of factual accuracy. 

You can believe what you want, but I always defend journalists who themselves to the proper standards and higher. I know of many reporters who would die inside if they purposely had to run, or accidentally ran, a “fake news” story. I would also like to point out that “skewed news” and “fake news” are two different things. WaPo and WSJ both have a clearish skew, but they still engage in completely factual reporting. A good reader should get their information from multiple perspectives in order to truly info themselves on an issue. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

5 hours ago, Vic Liu said:

Which is absolutely what a good reader must do. I will agree that CNN is turning more into a tabloid (like The Sun, or The Guardian). However, their reporting on events like terrorist attacks, or other live/breaking events is generally some of the best reporting you’ll get from the ground (think CNN Turkey during the Coup attempt). It’s the one reason I haven’t completely just binned CNN. Also, most liberals hate CNN too. If you want liberal viewpoints, head over to MSNBC. My parents watch that crap for hours. 

I generally get my news from WaPo, LA Times, NY Times, Axios, Quartz, Vice, The Verge, Reuters, and WSJ. So I do tend to like news that favors my bias (like everyone mostly), but I do also read stories from the “other side.”

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Which is absolutely what a good reader must do. I will agree that CNN is turning more into a tabloid (like The Sun, or The Guardian). However, their reporting on events like terrorist attacks, or other live/breaking events is generally some of the best reporting you’ll get from the ground (think CNN Turkey during the Coup attempt). It’s the one reason I haven’t completely just binned CNN. Also, most liberals hate CNN too. If you want liberal viewpoints, head over to MSNBC. My parents watch that crap for hours. 

I generally get my news from WaPo, LA Times, NY Times, Axios, Quartz, Vice, The Verge, Reuters, and WSJ. So I do tend to like news that favors my bias (like everyone mostly), but I do also read stories from the “other side.”

I will daily get news from the most pro-Chinese government media to the most anti-Chinese government media, so I can get totally different news and views everyday. Here is the pro-Chinese government index of my daily accessing media

10- Chinese state-owned media ( mostly positive news only and lots of criticism on USA )

7  - Caixin ( private Chinese media with some mild criticism on government and focusing on minority victims )

5  - BBC/BBC Chinese ( generally negative news based on fact with some reasonable criticism )

4  - CNN/NY Times ( negative news only with several fake news, the criticism is systematically and ideologically biased )

3  - Yahoo Taiwan ( fake news family, just like reading jokes and having fun )

0  - Voice of America Chinese ( full of ideological bias and making me feel I am living in the hell awaiting the rescue of USA )

I absolutely refuse to consider NY Times fake news. They might have a slight bias people don’t like personally, but they are very much legitimate news. They score under fact reporting and reputable on all media charts.