website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

2 minutes ago, hckosice said:

haha I guess none personally, but I know a lot of people who were waiting for this for years (we have a inportant hungarian minority who had to loose their HUN citizenship if they wanted to have the SVK one, now they will be able to regain back also their second citizenship)

This is one of the weirdest laws we had, consequences of having dumb parties ruling the country for decades... our citizens who applied for and obtained citizenship in another country automatically lost Slovak citizenship, it was also valid for foreigners, as soon as they acquired Slovak citizenship they had to renounce their previous citizenship, otherwise the Slovak one could not be acquired.

This will mainly help as I mentioned the Hungarian minority here, but also the czech minority...or viewing at sports for example Anastasiya Kuzmina now may be able to regain back her Russian citizenship, Rory Sabbatini his South-African one, wrestlers their previous russian etc...

Out of curiousity I went and checked the website of Dutch authorities and apparently this is the case for many countries :p 

In the Netherlands the 'basic rule' apparently is that you lose your current nationality if you apply for the Dutch nationality, with exceptions for countries that don't allow someone to give up their nationality (which I think is a bit of a weird thing, not allowing someone to give up a nationality).

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

Out of curiousity I went and checked the website of Dutch authorities and apparently this is the case for many countries :p 

In the Netherlands the 'basic rule' apparently is that you lose your current nationality if you apply for the Dutch nationality, with exceptions for countries that don't allow someone to give up their nationality (which I think is a bit of a weird thing, not allowing someone to give up a nationality).

You can have dual citizenship in the US. In fact there’s no limit, so there are people that are citizens here, and in a few other countries as well.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I know some people who have both Iranian and Dutch citizenship :p  you know one of them too, Reza Ghoochannejhad

in Iran you actually can give up nationality legally but that's a lengthy process and has to be signed by president himself !  I mean for each case, :yikes: and since usually the president is busy running/ruining the country, he has no time for that. in short that's almost an impossible process. while that's legally available I assume nobody tries that.

but the Iranian solution is to simply ignore the dual citizenship, and don't recognize it. so if you are Iranian, you are Iranian, it doesn't matter how many other passports you have. that doesn't sound bad so far, half my relatives have dual citizenship and never had any problem with that.

but then when you are in trouble in Iran your other country can't do anything to help you legally because for the Iranian government are only Iranian. and in times of crisis like right now,  being dual citizen put a target on you. specially if you are from certain countries.

27 minutes ago, MHSN said:

I know some people who have both Iranian and Dutch citizenship :p  you know one of them too, Reza Ghoochannejhad

in Iran you actually can give up nationality legally but that's a lengthy process and has to be signed by president himself !  I mean for each case, :yikes: and since usually the president is busy running/ruining the country, he has no time for that. in short that's almost an impossible process. while that's legally available I assume nobody tries that.

but the Iranian solution is to simply ignore the dual citizenship, and don't recognize it. so if you are Iranian, you are Iranian, it doesn't matter how many other passports you have. that doesn't sound bad so far, half my relatives have dual citizenship and never had any problem with that.

but then when you are in trouble in Iran your other country can't do anything to help you legally because for the Iranian government are only Iranian. and in times of crisis like right now,  being dual citizen put a target on you. specially if you are from certain countries.

So it means once you are Iranian, you are Iranian forever? Is it also the reason the messy calculation of nationality of the death of the latest air-crush?Canada said  they are Canadian while Iran said they are Iranian?

1 minute ago, Vic Liu said:

So it means once you are Iranian, you are Iranian forever? Is it also the reason the messy calculation of nationality of the death of the latest air-crush?Canada said  they are Canadian while Iran said they are Iranian?

technically no but for the reason I explained in reality that's true. nobody really tries to give up nationality and that's usually not necessary because Iran doesn't require people to do that.

yes, more than half those passengers were only Iranian but some of them (something like 30) had dual citizenship, they entered and left Iran with their Iranian passports which means the Iranian government didn't know (and didn't care) if they had other passports or not.

hace 6 horas, heywoodu dijo:

with exceptions for countries that don't allow someone to give up their nationality (which I think is a bit of a weird thing, not allowing someone to give up a nationality).

Argentina is an example  of that.  

I think your queen had to be granted an exception back in the day to resign to it (or I vaguely remember something like that).

Ps. We allow dual citizenship however.

China doesn't recognize dual citizenship. Once you obtain another citizenship, you will lose Chinese citizenship automatically. But if you don't tell it to Chinese police and use Chinese passports to enter and leave the country, you can temporarily keep the dual citizenship until government knows it. Secretly keeping two passports will make you back to and live in China much more convenient as local. So some overseas Chinese do it including my relatives.

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

In Indonesia asking for a signed letter from president is also a way to renounce citizenship. But yeah no one really bothers to do that..

Talking about citizenship, we had a small controversy where the president appointed the new Minister of Energy 3 years ago. He ended up working for 20 days because it was revealed that he had an American passport (we dont allow dual citizenship).

14 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

In Indonesia asking for a signed letter from president is also a way to renounce citizenship. But yeah no one really bothers to do that..

Talking about citizenship, we had a small controversy where the president appointed the new Minister of Energy 3 years ago. He ended up working for 20 days because it was revealed that he had an American passport (we dont allow dual citizenship).

apparently the world "allow" means different in different places, Iran simply don't recognize dual citizenship but has no problem with that.

but yes that's illegal for dual citizens to take government places. we hear sometimes here and there that some guys accuse the others of being dual citizens ! (and therefore not eligible to be a minister or deputy minister or something like that)

We have a few people with dual citizenship in parliament, and for years there's people 'fighting' against allowing it (sort of low-key, it's never the biggest priority). Not surprisingly most discussions are around politicians with Moroccan and especially Turkish nationalities. We've got a political party, called DENK, which has a few seats in parliament and is basically seen by most people (except themselves, officially) as the political part of 'Erdogan's long arm in the Netherlands' - which is sort of symbolism for Turkish people and institutions in the Netherlands, but promoting/wanting/liking Erdogan's authoritarian views.

In short: it's allowed for politicians, but not everyone is happy with it due to it at the very least making it seem like there's doubtful loyalties.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!