website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

9 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

I already voted by mail a week ago.  Had the Republican ballot.    So trump for president.   Reed for congress over Shepard. Lee for city council.    No on 13

Well being as I’m a student, I know first hand that our education systems need more funding, so I went for yes on 13. Our regional people are different, so those names mean nothing to me. Thankfully, I was able to get the Democratic Ballot, though I’m pretty I’m going to switch to Green or Peace and Freedom after this election.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Monzanator said:

Yep, same in Poland. You can only vote in the place where you live here. In case you're traveling or having a holiday in another place on election day, you have to take a special paper from city hall to confirm where you actually live. Obviously you have to have an ID too.

Yep :d 

We even get a specific polling station assigned on our voting card (the closest one, basically), although one can go to another one in the same city/town. It's mostly meant to sort of keep the working pressure more or less equal on all stations.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

Same here, and it feels more secure. I mean, you get your card (which has very simple instructions on it) by post and take it + your ID to the polling station. It really is not very complicated.

To each their own. We don’t have voter cards here either by the way. You register online, or through mail/paperwork too, and them you show up and vote. Everyone feels like it’s secure, and it’s a more “low key” occasion.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Yep, same in Poland. You can only vote in the place where you live here. In case you're traveling or having a holiday in another place on election day, you have to take a special paper from city hall to confirm where you actually live. Obviously you have to have an ID too.

We can vote anywhere in the county. For instance, I could drive down and vote in Maxim’s town, or he could drive up here and vote in mine. 

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

To each their own. We don’t have voter cards here either by the way. You register online, or through mail/paperwork too, and them you show up and vote. Everyone feels like it’s secure, and it’s a more “low key” occasion.

You show up, say "Hi, I'm Olympian1010" and they are like "ah, sure, no doubt, here you go!"?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Even in presidential elections do you still vote for some local councilmen or whatever that is? The 2000 voting fiasco had like a ton of names on the card instead of just Bush and Gore. I always found this amazing what on Earth was that. In Poland there are no by-elections when the President is elected, just a list of names and then two names in the second round.

Online voting remains prone to failure as evident by the app failure in Iowa. Imagine some computer glitch halting the voting state-wide? Democracy would look really stupid indeed not to mention some trolls could basically pull the proverbial plug and then things would look really bad. I bet this will happen one day sooner or later given how technology has run paper out of business.

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

We can vote anywhere in the county. For instance, I could drive down and vote in Maxim’s town, or he could drive up here and vote in mine. 

Easy Rider style. This would never fly in Poland :p Without an ID you're not getting a voting card no matter what.

17 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

You show up, say "Hi, I'm Olympian1010" and they are like "ah, sure, no doubt, here you go!"?

Well I am quite a celebrity obviously.

15 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Easy Rider style. This would never fly in Poland :p Without an ID you're not getting a voting card no matter what.

It’s a good thing I don’t need a voter card then :p

To answer your other question, yes we have other elections during the presidential elections. I had 22 items to vote on in the primaries today. It will probably be closer to 30-35 in November.

10 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

It’s a good thing I don’t need a voter card then :p

To answer your other question, yes we have other elections during the presidential elections. I had 22 items to vote on in the primaries today. It will probably be closer to 30-35 in November.

That's truly insane. And then you wonder why people are sick of politics and why the 2000 Florida elections was such a disaster :lol: You're basically voting for people you don't even know. At least you know the presidential candidates :whistle: