website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Because Slovakia is like the big unknown in Europe and people watching it will be like "oh fine that's Slovakia" no matter how it looks :p 

Could just as well have gone to Slovenia or Serbia or Montenegro or Moldova or something :p 

Now I find this as one rather pretty offensive post I must say :lol:

2 minutes ago, hckosice said:

Now I find this as one rather pretty offensive post I must say :lol:

I'm not saying it's a good thing, it's just my guess :p Much like if they would be looking for a more 'western' setting they could use any sort of flat part, let people on the street talk German, walk on wooden shoes with a fake carrot on their head and smoke some weed, and everyone will be like "oh sure that's the Netherlands" :p 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

8 minutes ago, Wumo said:

What if a hostel in Slovakia was run by the Fialkova sisters? :whistle:

Hide contents

Billedresultat for fialkova sisters

I would definitely have no problem staying there for while. :)I just hope they will not walk around with their rifles all time.

yeah, considering our biathletes shooting capacities... I think you would not to worry, :p

Trump vetos our recognition of the Armenian Genocide :(. He didn’t want to offend Turkey ?. We should honestly just back Greece and Cyprus at this point. Not a huge fan of modern Turkey myself.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/trump-sides-with-turkey-blocks-congress-recognizing-armenian-genocide-2019-12

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

34 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Trump vetos our recognition of the Armenian Genocide :(. He didn’t want to offend Turkey ?. We should honestly just back Greece and Cyprus at this point. Not a huge fan of modern Turkey myself.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/trump-sides-with-turkey-blocks-congress-recognizing-armenian-genocide-2019-12

Turkey was the US ally during WWII and you have military bases build there since the 50s. How many US military bases are there across former Soviet Union countries like Armenia?

The last sitting US president who called this a genocide was Reagan, after that everyone was afraid to upset Turkey. Even Obama only spoke of the genocide during his term in Congress, once he got elected President, he backed right off and never used the word "genocide" again. Welcome to big time politics, pal :bye:

15 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Turkey was the US ally during WWII and you have military bases build there since the 50s. How many US military bases are there across former Soviet Union countries like Armenia?

The last sitting US president who called this a genocide was Reagan, after that everyone was afraid to upset Turkey. Even Obama only spoke of the genocide during his term in Congress, once he got elected President, he backed right off and never used the word "genocide" again. Welcome to big time politics, pal :bye:

I mean I get the whole Turkey is our ally thing (though Erdogan is clearly in bed with Putin at the moment), but at some point with have to our values first. It’s true that we have bases and nukes in Turkey, but it’s not worth in my opinion. The only way it’s worth, is if they give up Turkish Cyprus, and then I could at least feel like we did something useful in the area. I’d much rather prefer to support Cyprus and Greece personally (and then make good friends with the likes of UAE, Jordan, Lebanon) over Turkey. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

I mean I get the whole Turkey is our ally thing (though Erdogan is clearly in bed with Putin at the moment), but at some point with have to our values first. It’s true that we have bases and nukes in Turkey, but it’s not worth in my opinion. The only way it’s worth, is if they give up Turkish Cyprus, and then I could at least feel like we did something useful in the area. I’d much rather prefer to support Cyprus and Greece personally (and then make good friends with the likes of UAE, Jordan, Lebanon) over Turkey. 

The military & strategic value of Turkey is much bigger than Greece & Cyprus. USA needs a foothold in the Middle East and operating US military bases out of Israel would be prelude to WWIII. Turkey as the secular Muslim country is perfect for the job especially after you lost the Iran alliance following the 1979 Islamic revolution.

Jordan might try to play the neutral party but I seriously doubt  "being friends with Lebanon" is possible as long as Hezbollah HQ is located there :lol:

Thousands turned out for pro-impeachment rallies tonight. I would have gone, but who the hell schedules a protest on Tuesday night? Turnout would have been much better on Saturday and Sunday.

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Thousands turned out for pro-impeachment rallies tonight. I would have gone, but who the hell schedules a protest on Tuesday night? Turnout would have been much better on Saturday and Sunday.

Well it was done since the vote is tomorrow.  Though it's pointless.   I mean obviously they will have enough votes tomorrow.   And obviously it will fall crushingly in the Senate.   So yes.  Good luck