website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

6 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I can see that argument, but we just can’t talk about it that way as a nation yet. I (personally) think that teaching kids that people can be traded for goods, held captive, and teaching them to put a price on a human life is wrong, but I do understand the educational value of teaching kids that slavery was thing. I just think we teach that information without asking the question above. We need to teach that it was wrong, and the social, economic, and national impacts of the slave trade, and then move on. We don’t need ask kids to give a price to life (although that is the American way), or to dehumanize others.

Yeah, telling little kids what's wrong always works well. And I'm sure little kids won't get distracted when telling them about social, econom.....oops, fell asleep there.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

Yeah, telling little kids what's wrong always works well. And I'm sure little kids won't get distracted when telling them about social, econom.....oops, fell asleep there.

Didn’t say we should be teaching little kids about the intricacies of slavery. Kids should get very basic facts about slavery in elementary school. Then explore the subject further in middle school and beyond. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Didn’t say we should be teaching little kids about the intricacies of slavery. Kids should get very basic facts about slavery in elementary school. Then explore the subject further in middle school and beyond. 

And we should all get a lot more background on this teacher and his goals, before we all virtually start tying him up a tree.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

And we should all get a lot more background on this teacher and his goals, before we all virtually start tying him up a tree.

Lynching also a touchy subject. That’s another whole debate right there. I agree though, we should give the teacher a fair chance to explain himself.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Dunadan said:

Parents should be more concerned that their kid in fifth grade, 10-11 years old, thought that 5 dollars to buy 2 slaves would be a fair price.

Used to Walmart prices?

I’m going just pretend I didn’t see those, and have a quite chuckle; now I’m just going to move on.

Edited by Olympian1010

Yet another mass shooting today. This time it was Jersey City. Numbers still unclear. Police have confirmed “multiple people deceased (dead)” there were also at least 2 police officers shot and and 1 civilian shot. 

The two biggest struggles in the Democratic primary will be the “black vote” and the “young vote”.

Mirrors what I’ve said. Around 60% generation is far-left. Not many people my age that vote republican, maybe 20-30% at this point. So this is actually a good depiction of the youth vote as a whole.