website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

Major drama drama in the upcoming Nobel Laureate ceremony (the prize for literature). The author that was awarded the prize is a Balkan Genocide denier. Basically, he supports what Serbia did, and believes the genocides carried out by Serbian forces against the ethnic Bosnian Muslims didn’t happen. He is on record saying what happen at Srebrenica didn’t happen, and that foreign journalists were responsible for Serbians problems during and after the war.

So, this week the only member of the Nobel committee who experienced the Bosnian War, said that he will boycott the ceremony. This was swiftly followed by the government of Kosovo who will also not attend the ceremony. I expect that Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Slovenia will all boycott the ceremony too.

I don’t get it. Why do we continue to reward people like this? We see more and more denial of the Rape of Nanking in Japan, the Internment of Japanese Americans in the US, Holocaust denial all around Germany, Genocide denial in Turkey, Genocide denial in the Central African Republic, Genocide denial in Serbia, Genocide denial in the US. Why do we allow people like this to continue to gain prominence? I just don’t understand. I was under the impression that we all thought Genocide wasn’t good for humanity. Clearly, I’m wrong because a good portion of the world seems to think it’s the solution to every problem. I just can’t with people anymore.

I totally agree with Kosovo on this one. Serbia was responsible for war, and committed multiple war crimes which they were never properly punished for. People continue to allow Serbia to paint this picture of themselves as the good guys trying to keep their country together. That’s simply isn’t true. The Balkan Wars were long and complicated, and it can be hard to find the truth often. However, one of the very little amount of things that is factually accurate is that the Serbian military carried out multiple genocides in Bosnia and in Croatia. The UN is complicit in this as well. Dutch peacekeepers knew of plans for the Genocide on Srebrenica, and the UN would not allow them to evacuate Bosnia Muslims. The government of Sweden will also be complicit for awarding a man who denies any of this happened. It all happened, it’s all fact. There wasn’t any innocent people in the Balkan Wars expect for the civilians that were massacred throughout the war (By Serbia, by Bosnia, and By Croatia) Serbia’s continued to denial of it is sickening. Cheering for them is like cheering for Nazi Germany in my eyes. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

No drama here. They awarded him the Nobel Prize despite all the knowledge so it's obvious they don't give a damn. Plus Sweden is such a nice & liberal country. How dare you question their integrity? They support the Muslim immigrant movement and all that. Truly, who gives a damn about the Srebrenica genocide anymore? Nobody. There's a War in Donbas going on right now and nobody gives a damn either. It's called global politics and the Nobel committe fits right in. These awards have been nothing but politics for a long while now :dunno:

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

Plus Sweden is such a nice & liberal country. How dare you question their integrity? They support the Muslim immigrant movement and all that.

They do not. I’ll question the integrity of any government, it’s my job as a person.

Truly, who gives a damn about the Srebrenica genocide anymore? Nobody. 

I do, and more people should. History is looking more like wants to repeat itself. Learning about genocides should be required in every country. I would also say that the remaining family members and friends of those killed still do.

There's a War in Donbas going on right now and nobody gives a damn either.

I do, it’s a very interesting conflict. Again more people should be aware of what’s happened and what’s happening still.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

All American soldiers who made war crimes across the world are national heroes there. So US and their citizens are last on this Planet who can talk about humanity, human rights and war crimes. US soldiers killed more than 0.5M in Vietnam, in My Lai they killed kids on streets. Belgians killed more than million people in Zaire, Turkey destroyed entire Armenian population in Turkey, UK robbed half of the planet, how many lifes is lost in the name of your democracy? You see what you want to see, not what was really happen.

We did awfull war crimes 25 years ago against Croats, Bosniaks and Albanians and we pay high prize for it. All people acused for war crimes was judged,including completee political elite from that time, many of them on our courts. Just live as alone and please  clean trash from your own backyard before you start with moral lessons.

And Handke got that Nobel price for his literature, not for his political views. 

Edited by NikolaB

8 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

They do not. I’ll question the integrity of any government, it’s my job as a person.

I do, and more people should. History is looking more like wants to repeat itself. Learning about genocides should be required in every country. I would also say that the remaining family members and friends of those killed still do.

I do, it’s a very interesting conflict. Again more people should be aware of what’s happened and what’s happening still.

You're in a complete minority. America cares more about Trump's tweets than anything else. History repeats itself since forever. Nobody and I mean nobidy cares about the Srebrenica massacre anymore. Stop fooling yourself. Sweden is viewed as the progressive leader of the world, they have this gender equality and Greta Thunberg. This is what the world cares about now so of course the Noble committee will give an award to someone who denies the Srebrenica massacre. Greta Thunberg is more important than those Bosnian families. It's really that simple :dunno:

11 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Major drama drama in the upcoming Nobel Laureate ceremony (the prize for literature). The author that was awarded the prize is a Balkan Genocide denier. Basically, he supports what Serbia did, and believes the genocides carried out by Serbian forces against the ethnic Bosnian Muslims didn’t happen. He is on record saying what happen at Srebrenica didn’t happen, and that foreign journalists were responsible for Serbians problems during and after the war.

So, this week the only member of the Nobel committee who experienced the Bosnian War, said that he will boycott the ceremony. This was swiftly followed by the government of Kosovo who will also not attend the ceremony. I expect that Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Slovenia will all boycott the ceremony too.

I don’t get it. Why do we continue to reward people like this? We see more and more denial of the Rape of Nanking in Japan, the Internment of Japanese Americans in the US, Holocaust denial all around Germany, Genocide denial in Turkey, Genocide denial in the Central African Republic, Genocide denial in Serbia, Genocide denial in the US. Why do we allow people like this to continue to gain prominence? I just don’t understand. I was under the impression that we all thought Genocide wasn’t good for humanity. Clearly, I’m wrong because a good portion of the world seems to think it’s the solution to every problem. I just can’t with people anymore.

I totally agree with Kosovo on this one. Serbia was responsible for war, and committed multiple war crimes which they were never properly punished for. People continue to allow Serbia to paint this picture of themselves as the good guys trying to keep their country together. That’s simply isn’t true. The Balkan Wars were long and complicated, and it can be hard to find the truth often. However, one of the very little amount of things that is factually accurate is that the Serbian military carried out multiple genocides in Bosnia and in Croatia. The UN is complicit in this as well. Dutch peacekeepers knew of plans for the Genocide on Srebrenica, and the UN would not allow them to evacuate Bosnia Muslims. The government of Sweden will also be complicit for awarding a man who denies any of this happened. It all happened, it’s all fact. There wasn’t any innocent people in the Balkan Wars expect for the civilians that were massacred throughout the war (By Serbia, by Bosnia, and By Croatia) Serbia’s continued to denial of it is sickening. Cheering for them is like cheering for Nazi Germany in my eyes. 

Excuse me? What do they have to do with anything? The Nobel Prize is not awarded by the government!

Yes, it's terribly saddening that someone with Handke's views can get this attention, but as said it's a litterature prize (though there are some controversial things in there as well).

And growing denial? Are you so sure about that? It's getting more visible and it's getting more and more important to make it clear that they are wrong, but I'm really not that certain about it.