website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

17 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Hail to the democracy! :sure:

Instead of just always bitching about everything, let's try and be constructive: you have something better in mind? Because communism sure as hell isn't, a totalitarian regime most definitely isn't, anarchy even less so.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

32 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Instead of just always bitching about everything, let's try and be constructive: you have something better in mind? Because communism sure as hell isn't, a totalitarian regime most definitely isn't, anarchy even less so.

I don't bitch about everything, I just say democracy can be controlled in authoritarian ways like these many political famliy clans prove. If you're stealing something you might as well call yourself a thief, not someone else. The problem is, democracy in a federal country like USA or Germany is different than in the republican system which is majority. Actually having a millionaire like Trump as Head of State isn't a bad idea, you can be sure he's not into politics for money which is the main reason most of these lawyers or whatever enter politics in first place. The days of ideallists are gone. Having people like Obama or Trump as Presidents is a good thing, Obama's personality was very bland but he had zero political support and was literally the guy from nowhere. It's not the system that needs to be changed since every political system is about money. I said before politicians, journalists & the clergy want to control the masses. It's a never-ending back & forth struggle. If they want to control you what's the difference whether you live in democracy or authoritarian system? How many people really feel a difference between Trump being a President or some life-long politician? They don't since the federal system covers the daily life more than a person in the White House. USA is tied to loans & mortgage payments no matter who's in charge. How many US citizens actually own the houses they live in? How many people are still paying off student loans like 20 years after they graduated? And this is you ideal democratic world where you're tied to a 30 year old credit loan? Really?

4 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

I don't bitch about everything, I just say democracy can be controlled in authoritarian ways like these many political famliy clans prove. If you're stealing something you might as well call yourself a thief, not someone else. The problem is, democracy in a federal country like USA or Germany is different than in the republican system which is majority. Actually having a millionaire like Trump as Head of State isn't a bad idea, you can be sure he's not into politics for money which is the main reason most of these lawyers or whatever enter politics in first place. The days of ideallists are gone. Having people like Obama or Trump as Presidents is a good thing, Obama's personality was very bland but he had zero political support and was literally the guy from nowhere. It's not the system that needs to be changed since every political system is about money. I said before politicians, journalists & the clergy want to control the masses. It's a never-ending back & forth struggle. If they want to control you what's the difference whether you live in democracy or authoritarian system? How many people really feel a difference between Trump being a President or some life-long politician? They don't since the federal system covers the daily life more than a person in the White House. USA is tied to loans & mortgage payments no matter who's in charge. How many US citizens actually own the houses they live in? How many people are still paying off student loans like 20 years after they graduated? And this is you ideal democratic world where you're tied to a 30 year old credit loan? Really?

Again, I only see "This system is shit", but apparently there's no alternative that's less bad? I'd prefer the least of the bad options then.

And no, Trump is possibly not in it for the money (although one can very seriously doubt that), he's mostly in it to glorify himself, which is arguably worse.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

Again, I only see "This system is shit", but apparently there's no alternative that's less bad? I'd prefer the least of the bad options then.

And no, Trump is possibly not in it for the money (although one can very seriously doubt that), he's mostly in it to glorify himself, which is arguably worse.

You're biased and set to defend the liberal democracy until the bitter end. That's your choice but it's not mine.

Huh? There's actually something worse than a corrupt politician in charge? Trump doesn't give any fucks and it doesn't matter the social media crusaders pretend they know better. Trump is no different than Grant or Eisenhower who cashed in their military career to glorify themselves even more. Hell, the astronaut John Glenn run for President too. US politics is full of these bozos who want to pamper their ego so it's old news.

3 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

You're biased and set to defend the liberal democracy until the bitter end. That's your choice but it's not mine.

If that's what you think, without giving any sort of alternative or whatever (and just keep saying 'this sucks'), ok, noted :) 

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

If that's what you think, without giving any sort of alternative or whatever (and just keep saying 'this sucks'), ok, noted :) 

Authoritarianism is better than democracy. Sadly it's being viewed as a communism spin-off while it can be very different.

Millionaires (or better, billionaires) controlling a lot of businesses are those who profit the most from being involved in politics, it's very naive to think that they are not in for the money, and Trump is no exception. And only his fanboys could say that he's honest about himself, he's a world class liar ffs.

1 minute ago, Dunadan said:

Millionaires (or better, billionaires) controlling a lot of businesses are those who profit the most from being involved in politics, it's very naive to think that they are not in for the money, and Trump is no exception. And only his fanboys could say that he's honest about himself, he's a world class liar ffs.

Every politician is a liar. It doesn't matter if he's a world class at it. Look at the UK which is supposedly one of the most established democracies in the world. Boris Johnson is a world class liar too yet Tory will probably win the next elections anyway. Nobody expects the politicians to say the truth, nobody.

Today's hearings/questionings with the judiciary committee are pretty interesting, much more so than the wittnesses I'd say. The most telling moment, or one of them, was one of the constitutional law experts saying this: "If this is not impeachable, nothing is impeachable."

16 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Today's hearings/questionings with the judiciary committee are pretty interesting, much more so than the wittnesses I'd say. The most telling moment, or one of them, was one of the constitutional law experts saying this: "If this is not impeachable, nothing is impeachable."

It won’t matter. House will vote down party lines (+ Rep. Amash) to impeach. Senate will vote down party lines to a acquit. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela