website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Intense debate in my house right now about Kamala’s plan. Both my parents are teachers, one is for, one is against. I’m against, and my younger sister is in the middle. This is the biggest problem with the education debate. Too many opinions, and no good solutions. Educators are so divided on how education should work, that we can’t even get a plan with more than 40% support. Students and teachers also want two different things, which more complicates the situation. The college debate just compounds the issue.

Of course, like everywhere. Talk about 5 more minutes and students will protest.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Of course, like everywhere. Talk about 5 more minutes and students will protest.

Well it’s not just that, but it has obviously plays a huge part. It’s also the insane demands that are put on students nowadays, people are more concerned about having a A in a class, than actually learning the material and bettering themselves. American students also get crazy amounts of homework (at least when compared to the top performing countries). 

Personally, I think we need to let kids be kids. There’s so many students out there that list the various ways society is fucking kids over. It’s ridiculous, and the older generations clearly have no clue what’s going on. I mean there are reasons young people are turning out to vote in higher percentages, we’re fed up with the way we’re being treated. 

My mom was the one that agreed with Kamala. I don’t necessarily disagree with Kampala’s plan, but there are a few parts that very much concern me. However, my mom just understand the intricacies of politics, and always accuses me of being a conservative (which is just fucking hilarious obviously). She also seems to think I’m a white nationalist, which again is just, huh? I would say that I don’t like her teaching style, so the fact that she likes the plan is probably one of the reasons I’m so against it. 

Another problem with education policy, is that education is an extremely personal thing. Telling kids they have to do something one way, is just wrong. Expecting all kids to behave the same way is wrong. Expecting all kids to be able to learn the same material is ridiculous. 

Plus, the education problem is only compounded by other social problems that the government has refused to address in the last three decades. Racism, gender equality, housing, food, funding for sports/arts, domestic abuse, infrastructure, etc. 

This issue just gets me so upset, and it really shouldn’t. Other 1st countries don’t seem to have some of these problems, and they’re obviously scoring higher than us everywhere. It’s just annoying.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

'Let kids be kids'

Sure, which includes a whole lot of learning, since you can't let them run around and do whatever they want until they're 18 or so. Well, there are countries where that happens, but that's because there's no money for education at all and we all see that doesn't work out well.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

What’s interesting to me about the Lebanon protests, is that they have transected religious lines. Religion hasn’t been a major factor in the protests, for a country very much split by it. It may actually be a small sign of some healing after brutal years of civil war.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

7 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Intense debate in my house right now about Kamala’s plan. Both my parents are teachers, one is for, one is against. I’m against, and my younger sister is in the middle. This is the biggest problem with the education debate. Too many opinions, and no good solutions. Educators are so divided on how education should work, that we can’t even get a plan with more than 40% support. Students and teachers also want two different things, which more complicates the situation. The college debate just compounds the issue.

Looking from outside, American education system is based on private education. The rich will only get richer and they most certainly won't allow anyone to rattle their cage. I read that Kamala's plan includes those schools looking & securing the financial support by themselves. Well, that's great. She has this idea but the schools will have to do all the heavy-lifting? Who is going to invest a penny for some no-name public school in the middle of nowhere just to help those working parents? You can invest in Harvard or Yale but not in Red Rock High School in some forgotten place in Wyoming :lol:

7 hours ago, George_D said:

@Olympian1010 what is the opinion of American people for Tsipras? :)

Who? The American opinion of Greece is that anyone in the middle class could probably buy the county, or that it’s where you go for a really cheap vacation. Greece is most known for its mythology, history, and recent economic downturn in the US.

A delightful anti-government protest from Chile. What a wonderful voice that women has. I better hear her in the Santiago 2023 opening ceremony (assuming citizens haven’t burnt the town to the ground by then :p)

Canada is such a lousy place (maybe Kellie Humphries was right after all :p ).

A 31-year old French woman was deemed not French enough to be granted immigrant status in Quebec.

I hope the liberals are proud of this shit. Canada seems even more lost in the dark than the supposedly inferior conservative countries they so happily throw under the bus.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50241254