website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

from what I read and hear, it seems even the 11th player also decided to sit down, it was like 11 players vs empty goal

this is probably a world record of something. a county falling in such a short time. and as expected Mr Ashraf Ghani already fled the country. some big names like Hamid Karzay, Abdullah Abdullah and G. Hekmatyar decided to stay and "trust" Taliban. I wouldn't do that but let's hope no bloodshed.

today morning Taliban promised to not enter Kabul for now. today evening Taliban entered the presidential palace. very trustworthy

Especially such a large country...it basically took, what, a week? I think I read a message from last week Friday that they took the first provincial capital and now Kabul has fallen within a day. Then again, if you get almost literally zero resistance, all you need to do is walk through the open door...

Any word on why nobody really resisted them at all? There's plenty of people having opinions and thoughts on that here of course, but I'm more interested in what 'regional social media' says about it, since that's probably more realistic..

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

The Taliban taking control of Afghanistan was bound to happen once the Western powers left. It was already happening during 20 years of US led intervention. This is a country that is tribal and a country that in theory has never actually been conquered. From Alexander the Great to now. Read history, Afghanistan and her tribes are restless and that's just the way it is. The Taliban may have control of big cities but pockets in Afghanistan won't be ruled by them. What is sad is that society will regress once again we will see no Afghanistan in the Olympics and no Afghan Cricket team anymore.

14 minutes ago, dcro said:

Fear and/or corruption.

This plus incompetence is what has been given as explanations the most here, combined with a total lack of motivation to fight for some centralized government they've got no connection with whatsoever. A sort of comparison I saw somewhere: "As if China decided that 28 and a half random European countries are now one country, followed by Thailand deciding who is the president of that and Brazil saying that Minsk is now the capital. Good luck finding people in (formerly) Norway or Belgium who are motivated to fight for said government in Minsk, even if officially it's the same country now."

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

15 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Any word on why nobody really resisted them at all? There's plenty of people having opinions and thoughts on that here of course, but I'm more interested in what 'regional social media' says about it, since that's probably more realistic..

lots of reasons as you already discussed about

people in Afghanistan mostly think there were some behind the scene deals with army leaders etc with Taliban. (town by town, I mean not in general) they gave up fighting in return of having a role in future armies. even though that's a bit hard to believe, one most be extremely stupid (like US government) to trust Taliban's promises. Afghan army leaders knew Taliban very well but that's what people "think"

as far as I know Afghan Army had something like 350,000 soldiers while Taliban has something like 80,000 (maximum estimation) how come that's even possible?!

personally I think that was because they didn't trust the leaders in Kabul. when USA and NATO left (or said they will leave) they just saw no reason to fight because they will lose after all. probably having 1000 US soldiers + equipment in Afghanistan would give them confidence to fight back.

I think most people don't know few things about Ashraf Ghani and how he became the president. Afghanistan has something like 30 millions population but only 3 millions voted in 2019 and Ghani won the election by just 923,000 votes :yikes: (his opponent never accepted the defeat and considered it rigged) that's unbelievable less than 1 million

you can imagine people lost hope in this "democracy" (which was corrupt and not working well) long time ago. the same goes to the soldiers

19 hours ago, intoronto said:

Canada's moron of a pm has called an election on September 20, years head of schedule. 

Interesting. Doesn't seem to be a sensible decision. All over the world, leaders are facing varying voter wrath due to the pandemic. Is he sensing that he can increase his seats due to lack of preparation of opposition? 

Honestly, all of us knew this was going to be the case. USA couldn't stay in Afghanistan indefinitely and the moment USA left, Taliban was bound to return. Even when USA was there, Taliban had substantial control over some areas. Also, legitimisation of Taliban has been going on for quite some time (atleast until Hillary's term as Sec of State). So, fully expect that first some senior Afghani politicians would accept Taliban as the legitimate government of Afghanistan followed by USA/China. Others don't matter. In return, Taliban may go easy on public executions of top Afghan leadership and may give some concessions to the public, like no "official ban" on girls going to school.