website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

11 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

The question is, what will happen now? Especially for example for women and their chances for normal lifes (meaning, education, somewhat free choices, not needing some male relative simply to walk the street, and so on)? It's hard to imagine the current situation will mean the lives of regular Afghan people will magically improve with extremists like Taliban in force.

the answer is simple. they can't go school (after the certain age) , no college, can't work (except certain jobs like teachers, nurses) among other improvements. from what I heard when they closed the Kabul university today, lots of the students said goodbye forever, they know they can't and won't go back. specially women

Taliban is not going to enter Kabul, at least not for now. they can wait few days for the government to surrender, they also don't want to trade fire with foreign troops (still in Kabul)

22 years ago 3 great countries of Pakistan, UAE and Saudi Arabia recognized Taliban. I wonder how many will recognize the "new Taliban" I assume the number is more than 3.

12 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

The question is, what will happen now? Especially for example for women and their chances for normal lifes (meaning, education, somewhat free choices, not needing some male relative simply to walk the street, and so on)? It's hard to imagine the current situation will mean the lives of regular Afghan people will magically improve with extremists like Taliban in force.

TBH I don't know either for women's normal life. I guess Taliban will make some progress to please major powers to earn their recognition. I hope the progress is not just a show but normality. Anyway, the first step of normal life is that you and your beloved don't have to fear to die. If Afghan women and men could safely survive and make a living without fear of sudden explosion is already a progress towards normality and already better than Syria. Any other improvements can only be gained step by step by their own.

On 8/13/2021 at 7:00 PM, Monzanator said:

Politico has written a piece that 20 years of American "gains" in Afghanistan will be (are being) wasted in 20 days :lol: Makes you wonder what all those billions were spend on in the end? The Afghan Army looks completely useless and it seems like Kabul will fall way sooner than even I expected. I don't even give them 2 months if Taliban keep going with this.

Not quite two months ... (although even i thought that they would last a bit longer). Yesterday the afghan president announced that they would mobiize the forces now, which made you wonder what they have been doing so far ...

Afghanistan is a made up country by the west, in reality it is just a bunch of tribes. The fact that roughly 60k not very well-equipped taliban can "beat" a very well-equipped/trained army of roughly 300k soldiers clearly shows you that most people don't really seem too willing to defend "western values". I feel sad for the afghan women, but in the end there never was a chance of a different outcome (something that most soldiers who came back from there even 10-15 years ago ... or history could/would have told you). I am not sure if western politicians actually had the goal/belief to achieve something else over there, personally i hope that they aren't really that naive. If afghan people want a different life, they can either leave the country of build a different country on their own. I hope that Europe won't again take on hundreds of thousands of refugees regardless of their "qualification". Nothing wrong with letting "qualified" refugees in, but no society is capable of integrating such a huge number of people from a completely different culture (if those people even would be willing) at the same time. This doesn't change anything about the fact that western countries should give humanitarian help (setting up camps in bordering countries). Also one of the biggest "miracles" for me is how the west never was able to effectively cut off the stream of weapons/money to the taliban (from Saudi Arabia/Pakistan?). I also fear that afghanistan will now become the "headquarters" of international terrorism again, but maybe this time the west will be able to fight that more effectively with drones.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

So, US 20 yo experiment in Afghanistan finally failed today and we all back to the start positions. Now new Osamma Bin Laden is needed and whole story can start from the begining. Europe must prepare for new waves of refugies and migrants, US can continue with their international politics based on human rights fairytales in third world countries and so on. Deja vu.

Guess things are moving fast, Kabul has fallen basically two days after my last post. Politico was right, all that US money spend (ultimately wasted) for 20 years and Taliban needed 20 days to take over the country. Well done! Another spectacular failure of US warfare politics. The ghosts of Vietnam are alive and doing just fine! :lol:

Lol at people actually believing the US had any interest in helping the afghan people. They only care for their own financial and geopolitical interests. Took what they can for 20 years, so it's time to move on. Imagine what could have been, if they'd actually wanted to do something with the TRILLIONS spent on this operation for 20 years. Well better luck to the next guy, which presumably is going to be China. The new silk road won't build itself!

8 hours ago, heywoodu said:

And that's the end of Ghani as president. Two days was optimistic as well, I guess, especially when one barely even has to fight to get into a capital. It's like a football match where 10 of the 11 players of one team decided to sit down because they'll lose anyway :( 

from what I read and hear, it seems even the 11th player also decided to sit down, it was like 11 players vs empty goal

this is probably a world record of something. a county falling in such a short time. and as expected Mr Ashraf Ghani already fled the country. some big names like Hamid Karzay, Abdullah Abdullah and G. Hekmatyar decided to stay and "trust" Taliban. I wouldn't do that but let's hope no bloodshed.

today morning Taliban promised to not enter Kabul for now. today evening Taliban entered the presidential palace. very trustworthy

4 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Guess things are moving fast, Kabul has fallen basically two days after my last post. Politico was right, all that US money spend (ultimately wasted) for 20 years and Taliban needed 20 days to take over the country. Well done! Another spectacular failure of US warfare politics. The ghosts of Vietnam are alive and doing just fine! :lol:

American mood:

CD45A7A2-C8B1-478B-9918-E687BD880247.jpeg