website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

Kamala Harris tells immigrants from Guatemala to fuck off. Of course there will be no outrage like when Donald Trump played the same tune. The hypocrites in US politics strike again :lol:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57387350

Ah yes, but she gets away with it because everyone knows she is lying. Whereas all the leftists hated Trump because me meant it. Same with Obama/Romney on gay marriage. Both were opposed to it, but Obama got away with it because the gay lobby understood he had to lie to Black church-goers to get their vote.

4 hours ago, konig said:

Our president says in Spain that the brazilians come from the jungle and the mexicans are indians :facepalm:

"The Mexicans came from the Indians, the Brazilians came from the jungle, but we Argentines came from the ships. And they were ships that came from Europe," Fernandez said, referring to the country's many European migrants.

I've got a feeling quite a lot of Brazilians have great-great-great-great-grandparents who came from ships as well. Just, you know, a little less voluntarily...

Personally I actually find it pretty cool that a good number 'came from the jungle' (to use the Argentinian president's words). Like, my girlfriend's granddad was apparently born in a native jungle tribe and moved to 'the city', but his parents were full-on native people including their way of life. That's not a lot of generations ago at all, which is really very interesting to realize.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

46 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I've got a feeling quite a lot of Brazilians have great-great-great-great-grandparents who came from ships as well. Just, you know, a little less voluntarily...

Personally I actually find it pretty cool that a good number 'came from the jungle' (to use the Argentinian president's words). Like, my girlfriend's granddad was apparently born in a native jungle tribe and moved to 'the city', but his parents were full-on native people including their way of life. That's not a lot of generations ago at all, which is really very interesting to realize.

When I lived in Borneo in the 1970s there were still people - the Dayaks & the Iban - who lived the old traditional longhouse life in the jungle. About 20 years ago I was out in Edinburgh & I met a whole crowd of 20-something Dayaks dressed like typical Asian student tourists out taking photographs of the castle etc etc. So it can be even quicker than that.

The "promotion of homosexuality" is getting banned in Hungarian schools. They are pretty much making LBGT related topics tabu in sex ed, they are also banning pride/LGBT related ads from the streets. And this was introduced as an extension of their anti-pedophile bill, in an effort to make it seem like the opposition is supporting pedophiles if they attack the government's anti-LGBT laws. 

Orbán is smart once again, he knows that Hungarians are generally homophobic, I think even many potential opposition voters are either anti-LGBT or don't care about LGBT issues. They are an easy target, and Orbán will use them to win next year's election, just like how he used the migrant crises in 2018. He wants the election to be about "right-wing normalcy vs. dangerous Western, liberal ideals", not about Orbán's corruption. 

59 minutes ago, Vektor said:

The "promotion of homosexuality" is getting banned in Hungarian schools. They are pretty much making LBGT related topics tabu in sex ed, they are also banning pride/LGBT related ads from the streets. And this was introduced as an extension of their anti-pedophile bill, in an effort to make it seem like the opposition is supporting pedophiles if they attack the government's anti-LGBT laws. 

Orbán is smart once again, he knows that Hungarians are generally homophobic, I think even many potential opposition voters are either anti-LGBT or don't care about LGBT issues. They are an easy target, and Orbán will use them to win next year's election, just like how he used the migrant crises in 2018. He wants the election to be about "right-wing normalcy vs. dangerous Western, liberal ideals", not about Orbán's corruption. 

Wow, it's rare (and sad) to see a country take such a huge step back in time :( 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

9 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Wow, it's rare (and sad) to see a country take such a huge step back in time :( 

We aren't taking steps back, Hungarian society isn't going back, the politicians are adapting to their voters, the people living outside of Budapest have always been more conservative than what you would expect from an EU member state. I mean, currently around 65% of active Hungarian voters are supporting right-wing parties, the only reason Orbán isn't winning next year's election easily is because we have a large number of conservatives who are supporting the right-wing opposition party.