website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

42 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

And I am assuming the vote is then stored digitally?

I believe the vote is counted digitally, and then the ballots are stored in the machine as a fail-safe/backup. I can’t remember much about how that part of the process works though, so I could be wrong.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

And I am assuming the vote is then stored digitally?

I can only speak for how it works in Dallas county, which is the only place where I've voted in the US: the voting machine prints a human readable ballot receipt. The voter reads the receipt and then feeds it into a tabulation machine that counts the ballots. The results displayed on election night are what the tabulation machine spits out (which is why Dallas county has almost complete results available within a few minutes of polls closing). The paper ballots are then used for auditing and recount purposes.

It's really hard to talk about how Americans votes because every state does is differently, and even within a state every county does it differently too.

7 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I believe the vote is counted digitally, and then the ballots are stored in the machine as a fail-safe/backup. I can’t remember much about how that part of the process works though, so I could be wrong.

If that were the case, then it should be trivially easy to organise recounts & ballot audits. Yet everywhere in the USA and even Burma now we see voting authorities & courts moving heaven & earth to prevent or forbid such recounts.

3 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

If that were the case, then it should be trivially easy to organise recounts & ballot audits. Yet everywhere in the USA and even Burma now we see voting authorities & courts moving heaven & earth to prevent or forbid such recounts.

There were multiple recounts held in various states throughout the country during our last election. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

7 hours ago, NearPup said:

I can only speak for how it works in Dallas county, which is the only place where I've voted in the US: the voting machine prints a human readable ballot receipt. The voter reads the receipt and then feeds it into a tabulation machine that counts the ballots. The results displayed on election night are what the tabulation machine spits out (which is why Dallas county has almost complete results available within a few minutes of polls closing). The paper ballots are then used for auditing and recount purposes.

It's really hard to talk about how Americans votes because every state does is differently, and even within a state every county does it differently too.

Right, as long as the paper ballots are stored somewhere, it's sort of fine. The main problem is if voting is done only through a machine, without any paper involved, and the vote only consists of a few bits in a machine and that's it, without any sort of auditing possibilities.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Right, as long as the paper ballots are stored somewhere, it's sort of fine. The main problem is if voting is done only through a machine, without any paper involved, and the vote only consists of a few bits in a machine and that's it, without any sort of auditing possibilities.

The way Dallas county does things is very good. But it is also seemingly one of the best run election systems in the US. So I can’t speak for elsewhere.

Zsolt Petry, the Hungarian goalkeeping coach at Hertha Berlin just demonstrated how to get fired with one easy step. He had an interview with a Hungarian newspaper...

From DW:

Speaking to the Magyar Nemzet daily on Easter Monday, Petry, 54, called the EU's immigration policy the "moral downfall" of Europe, while also criticizing RB Leipzig goalkeeper Peter Gulacsi for his public support of same-sex marriage.

"I don't know what led Peter to stand up for people with homosexual, transvestite and other gender identities," said Petry of his compatriot Gulacsi, who took to Facebook in December to denounce a constitutional change that effectively banned adoption for LGBTQ couples in Hungary.

"If I were him, as an athlete, I would concentrate on football and not comment publicly on sociopolitical issues," said Petry, who made 38 appearances for Hungary as a goalkeeper and was voted Hungarian player of the year in 1990.

Aaand he's gone 24 hours later, they fired him. 

What did he think, that nobody will notice this at Hertha? Free speech is good and all, but any sane person knows how Western companies react when one of their employees does something like this. I guess Petry now can come back home, most Hungarian clubs won't fire him, his views are normal here, while Gulacsi's liberal views made him an enemy in the eyes of many Hungarians, despite him being one of the best Hungarian goalkeepers ever.