website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

21 minutes ago, NearPup said:

What is the Canadian government supposed to do, add a “this person is important to the CCP” clause to it’s extradition treaties?

Everything China does nowadays is revenge for things that happened in the nineteenth century.  You’d better read up on them; now that Beijing Biden is in the White House we’ll be seeing a lot more of them.

14 minutes ago, NearPup said:

What is the Canadian government supposed to do, add a “this person is important to the CCP” clause to it’s extradition treaties?

Making moves to please chief Chinese critic Donald Trump worked short-term but now you're dealing with long-term effects. Trudeau won the 100m dash but China is running in the marathon :p And USA is still trying to navigate the Nord Stream 2 mine field. You just can't put China and Russia out of business by bringing a knife to a gunfight.

1 hour ago, NearPup said:

Let's assume China and North Korea have extradition treaty and North Korea sanctions Air Canada because it does business with USA. And North Korea ask China to extradite the CFO of Air Canada during his/her business trip in China. So what will China do? Will China proactively get involved into this shithole?

Let's be clear. Canada is not the first US ally asked for extradition but the first did it. Is the country ignored the extradition lawless and US sent bomb there?

47 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Everything China does nowadays is revenge for things that happened in the nineteenth century.  You’d better read up on them; now that Beijing Biden is in the White House we’ll be seeing a lot more of them.

Not exactly. Canada is not among those countries conquering China during 19th century. And China has a long period of time keeping peace with Canada. If looked back to the 19th century, Russia is the no.1 enemy who invaded China most land and helping separate Mongolia out of China in WW2. But still China and Russia are very close right now because of the geopolitical reality. 

16 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

Let's assume China and North Korea have extradition treaty and North Korea sanctions Air Canada because it does business with USA. And North Korea ask China to extradite the CFO of Air Canada during his/her business trip in China. So what will China do? Will China proactively get involved into this shithole?

Let's be clear. Canada is not the first US ally asked for extradition but the first did it. Is the country ignored the extradition lawless and US sent bomb there?

Im not sure I agree with the whole Meng arrest. However, China arresting two Canadians on false pretenses, then having a sham of a trial, is something I do not agree with. 

Ps. I don't think any country would do anything like that for NK :p

Just now, intoronto said:

Im not sure I agree with the whole Meng arrest. However, China arresting two Canadians on false pretenses, then having a sham of a trial, is something I do not agree with. 

But as a politician like Trudeau have to understand politics is not calling for help from media and asking for signatures. All these moves are extremely naive in China's eyes. China don't believe in American-style "law and order" and believe in tit for tat retaliation. As a politician he should be aware of it and make decision based on this. NK is just an example, never mind.

3 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Retaliation is an old weapon in politics. Besides USA & Canada think that whatever China does is a sham so why should China care about appearances anymore? They simply don't. Trudeau is a second league player on the Chinese chessboard anyway.

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

Making moves to please chief Chinese critic Donald Trump worked short-term but now you're dealing with long-term effects. Trudeau won the 100m dash but China is running in the marathon :p And USA is still trying to navigate the Nord Stream 2 mine field. You just can't put China and Russia out of business by bringing a knife to a gunfight.

If Trudeau got involved in this case and it got leaked to the press he'd lose his job. A head of government should not interfere in court proceedings, that's extremely inappropriate.

I'm not sure how it would be some brilliant chess move for him to destroy his own career in order to appease the CCP. Canadians by and large don't blame Trudeau for what happened to the two Michaels. Either they blame China or the United States. But there's no political cost for Trudeau holding the line. Caving to China, however, would be the kind of scandal that would be extremely damaging, especially since Trudeau already has a reputation for being very friendly towards the CCP.

Just now, NearPup said:

If Trudeau got involved in this case and it got leaked to the press he'd lose his job. A head of government should not interfere in court proceedings, that's extremely inappropriate.

But that’s just the sort of thing the Chinese Govt don’t understand.

19 minutes ago, NearPup said:

I'm not sure how it would be some brilliant chess move for him to destroy his own career in order to appease the CCP. Canadians by and large don't blame Trudeau for what happened to the two Michaels. Either they blame China or the United States. But there's no political cost for Trudeau holding the line. Caving to China, however, would be the kind of scandal that would be extremely damaging, especially since Trudeau already has a reputation for being very friendly towards the CCP.

Trudeau survived the attorney general interference so it's rather clear he can get involved and get away with it :dunno:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/14/trudeau-broke-ethics-law-in-snc-lavalin-case-watchdog-rules