website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

6 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

No question about it, the liberals are winning the cultural war in the West. I'm gonna enjoy watching the purge of the Republicans in the next 4 years :lol: However even the liberals can get it totally wrong as evident by the Wikileaks fiasco. It was supposed to be a new Bible for the liberals and then Assange got exposed as a Russian mole :p  I presume the in-fighting of Democrats moderates and progressives will allow Republicans to somehow avoid total extinction though.

Oh yeah, the republicans can come back from this, the way they attracted new voters in Florida among the latinos was a good sign for them because they have to start getting more non-white votes soon if they want to win any nationwide election. Even here Hungary the liberals can come back after 12 years of right-wing domination if they play their cards right, and they don't even have the kind of media empire the republicans will always have with Fox News. Nothing is permanent. 

Liz Cheney (WY-AL), the third most senior Republican in the US House, will vote for impeachment.

Trump being impeached for a second time tomorrow is essentially a foregone conclusion. His trial is unlikely to happen before the end of his term, but the Senate will have the opportunity to ban him from holding any federal office for life, which would prevent him from running in 2024.

7 hours ago, NearPup said:

Liz Cheney (WY-AL), the third most senior Republican in the US House, will vote for impeachment.

Trump being impeached for a second time tomorrow is essentially a foregone conclusion. His trial is unlikely to happen before the end of his term, but the Senate will have the opportunity to ban him from holding any federal office for life, which would prevent him from running in 2024.

Dems are really thinking short term here. Trump realistically stands no chance of running for Republicans any more. Him running as an independent would definitely split some conservative votes though...

#banbestmen

8 hours ago, NearPup said:

As I said, Republican establishment will lead the crusade against Trump. If Dems and RE are still afraid of a Trump run for Presidency in 2024, then I must say impeachment would make him a bigger threat. 

1 hour ago, dcro said:

Dems are really thinking short term here. Trump realistically stands no chance of running for Republicans any more. Him running as an independent would definitely split some conservative votes though...

Why? A republican pollster (though not one with the greatest reputation) showed about 2/3 of the republican voters would vote for him, even after the situation at the Capitol. It would certainly be a massive blow to his chances, but he could still very well be a strong candidate in 2024, the Republicans wanting it or not.

27 minutes ago, Dolby said:

As I said, Republican establishment will lead the crusade against Trump. If Dems and RE are still afraid of a Trump run for Presidency in 2024, then I must say impeachment would make him a bigger threat. 

Impeachment won't make him a bigger threat as a candidate if it makes him incapable of running.

But also, one thing is keeping him from running. That could very well be the reason for McConnell and other republicans. Another is setting a precedent. 

It can certainly be discussed whether that's the right decision, but sometimes setting an example is the reason, not major strategic thinking, even in politics.