website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

42 minutes ago, Vektor said:

What an embarrassment. One of the leading nations of the world couldn't protect their capitol building from a modest sized crowd. China and Russia must be having a field day with this. 

It reminds me of how the police wasn't able to protect the National TV in Hungary in 2006. But at least it was "just" the National TV, not literally the most important building in the country, the Parliament. 

ÁVH couldn't have protected radio 50 years earlier as well.

People in California are fuming about all of this. Many people around here are comparing the police response to today’s event, to the police response to BLM protests over the summer.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I live in DC (10 min walk from the White House). It’s a mess. City under curfew. Lots of people rushing to buy food before it started. Sometimes you hear a siren or helicopter in the background. 

See if there was proven fraud maybe this would be justified sort of like the protests in Belarus but the issue is he hasn’t conclusively proven any of his allegations and I’ve lost my patience with him. It’s not worth this. I really feel for all the law enforcement and first responders who have to deal with this now.

The worst part is most Trump supporters I talked to today are so behind him they’d do absolutely anything he’d ask them to do without hesitation. There were some nuanced voices and people with healthy skepticism but definitely the minority. It’s a problem everywhere in politics tbh but especially here.

I also think that today’s events will lead to one-party rule one way or the other. If Trump succeeds in staying in power he will try to solidify it, and if Democrats take power they will use today’s events as an excuse to severely restrict any future conservative opposition.

Twitter has released a statement saying that they have removed some of Trump’s tweets.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela