website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

It’s Saturday, so naturally Joe Biden has the day off.  But don’t worry, the campaign continues at full intensity.  It was  Dr Jill Biden’s turn in the eco-friendly private jet.  She flew to Nebraska to hold a meeting with a massive overflowing crowd of eight people, where no doubt the topic of climate change was high in everyone’s thoughts.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/09/jill-biden-speaks-8-people-nebraska-feeble-joe-naps-basement-video/

This follows up her barn-storming eco-friendly private jet visit to Maine yesterday, where a crowd of about a dozen people greeted her with overflowing rapture.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/09/jill-biden-speaks-handful-supporters-maine-feeble-joe-naps-basement-video/

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

This is some old stereotype about Catholics in USA, like it's 16th century or something.

I mean Sonia Sotomayor is a Catholic too and she's considered one of the most liberals on the Court? :dunno:

There is no stereotype of Catholics being particularly conservative in the US - Catholics are all over the ideological spectrum and Catholics vote roughly in line with Americans at large. This is very unlike some other religious groups in the US, such as Evangelicals, Mormons or Anglicans (overwhelmingly Republicans) or Unitarians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus and non-religious voters (overwhelmingly Democrats) that have very clear political leanings.

3 hours ago, NearPup said:

There is no stereotype of Catholics being particularly conservative in the US - Catholics are all over the ideological spectrum and Catholics vote roughly in line with Americans at large. This is very unlike some other religious groups in the US, such as Evangelicals, Mormons or Anglicans (overwhelmingly Republicans) or Unitarians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus and non-religious voters (overwhelmingly Democrats) that have very clear political leanings.

My impression is that in the Anglo-Saxon world Catholics get viewed as "conservative" or "bigoted" all the time tbh. That's the stereotype and Catholicism is viewed as more religious extreme than Islam.

Olympian1010 posted this tweet to clearly indicate that having 6 Catholics on the Supreme Court would be a bad thing (since he never posts anything positive about conservatives), I imagine having 6 Muslim judges would be a sign of religious tolerance though :p

50 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

My impression is that in the Anglo-Saxon world Catholics get viewed as "conservative" or "bigoted" all the time tbh.

Not really. I haven’t really met anyone who has major issues with Catholics. Generally the only people who hate on Catholicism are people who were Catholic themselves, and are now Atheist or Agnostic. Like @NearPup said, it’s the Evangelicals and Mormons who get labeled as such.

53 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

That's the stereotype and Catholicism is viewed as more religious extreme than Islam.

Yeah...definitely no. 

56 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Olympian1010 posted this tweet to clearly indicate that having 6 Catholics on the Supreme Court would be a bad thing, I imagine having 6 Muslim judges would be a sign of religious tolerance though :p

Yes, that is why I posted that article, but you don’t quite have the reasoning correct. The 1st Amendment of the U.S. Constitution guarantees religious freedom, so having a Supreme Court that’s two-thirds one religion seems like an issue to me. I wouldn’t want 6 Muslim judges on the Supreme Court either for the exact same reason. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

30 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Not really. I haven’t really met anyone who has major issues with Catholics. Generally the only people who hate on Catholicism are people who were Catholic themselves, and are now Atheist or Agnostic. Like @NearPup said, it’s the Evangelicals and Mormons who get labeled as such.

Yeah...definitely no. 

Yes, that is why I posted that article, but you don’t quite have the reasoning correct. The 1st Amendment of the U.S. Constitution guarantees religious freedom, so having a Supreme Court that’s two-thirds one religion seems like an issue to me. I wouldn’t want 6 Muslim judges on the Supreme Court either for the exact same reason. 

Yeah but since when religious freedom equals to democracy of the religion itself? If you want to force a religious choice just because it should be balanced (like 3 Catholics, 3 Muslims & 3 Jews) then its no longer a freedom of religion to begin with.

Democracy wants to control so many choices by default it actually destroys the freedom of choice its supposed to protect.

Rejecting a judge because he displays the wrong faith and "we have too many Catholics" on the Court doesn't sound too democratic at all.

The biggest myth for me is why there were no Asian-Americans every appointed to the Court. Probably USA is scared of having a Chinese mole there or the anti-Japanese bias is bigger than the anti-Catholic bias.

14 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Yeah but since when religious freedom equals to democracy of the religion itself? If you want to force a religious choice just because it should be balanced (like 3 Catholics, 3 Muslims & 3 Jews) then its no longer a freedom of religion to begin with.

Democracy wants to control so many choices by default it actually destroys the freedom of choice its supposed to protect.

Rejecting a judge because he displays the wrong faith and "we have too many Catholics" on the Court doesn't sound too democratic at all.

The biggest myth for me is why there were no Asian-Americans every appointed to the Court. Probably USA is scared of having a Chinese mole there or the anti-Japanese bias is bigger than the anti-Catholic bias.

I think it's mostly surprising that there is only one Protestant on the court vs. six Catholics, given that the majority of American Christians are some flavour of Protestant and given that there has only been a single Catholic president in American history (Joe Biden would, if elected, only be the second Catholic president).

As for Asians on the high court, Trump seriously considered Amul Thapar and Obama seriously considered Sri Srinivasan (who is currently the DC Circuit Chief Judge, meaning he is the most senior member of the judiciary branch other than the Supreme Court justices). Jacqueline Nguyen had also been floated as a potential Obama pick for the Supreme Court.

To be honest if Biden is elected and gets to appoint two Justices I wouldn't be surprised at all if he nominates Srinivasan (Ketanji Brown Jackson would be all but a lock to replace Breyer).

Some pretty massive MeToo-things going on in Denmark, sadly including the world of politics where more than 300 women who are or have been active in politics have signed a letter stating that they've been targets of sexism including 79 specific stories ranging from offensive comments to actual sexual assault.

I know and trust plenty of those women making it hurt even more to read the stories feeling extremely blind about what has been going on (I knew of a few specific stories but really didn't think it was at this extent)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54246009