website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

1 hour ago, Grassmarket said:

There’s nothing wrong with Trump’s mental health.  He merely holds a different view of the world than you do.

I'm in no way the right person to consider the mental health of the presidential candidates, but there are some major problems about Trump's personality.

When even the "leader" of Danes for Trump says that he's an idiot it does say something (he likes his political ideas and results, though).

A man who really seems more like a child when told that he is wrong (and fires everybody who aren't ready to lick his boots).

Whenever somebody challenges him, he answers with either lies or claims about fake news, he has an obsession with how people see him and has no trouble treading on others.

Biden certainly isn't without weaknesses and I would hope for a stronger candidate 8though I'm without doubt more positive than most others in this thread). He does have his gaffers (but he has for a long time, not just after getting old) just like Trump (who certainly don't correct them either).

Though it's a clear sign of the way things are moving in the US (and sadly several other democratic countries) it is saddening how little things become about politics and so much about a single person.

Interesting video on a very local issue for me.

A lot of the footage used in this video is from right outside my town (the outskirt communities). We embraced solar technology in the late 2000s, and that shit took off out here. It quickly became a major sector business, and got our communities a lot of state and national interest. There are now miles and miles of solar farms across our deserts, and much more planned. My town is one of the sunniest places on the entire planet, so it’s an ideal place to build solar farms. We also have consistently strong winds, which makes us an ideal candidate for wind turbines like you see in the video. 

However, these companies are razing our desert to make this happen. Like the conservationist says, our desert is an amazing place filled with biodiversity (even if it isn’t as beautiful as a mountain peak, or rainforest, or ocean). We’ve seen animal habitat decreased greatly. We have many threatened and endangered species that call the Mojave Desert home. 

These companies caused horrible and dangerous dust storms when they removed all the plants from their plots of land about a decade ago. It made it dangerous to go outside for days at a time. They have also chosen to build their solar farms on lands where our beloved California poppies grow, thus reduced their habitat and making our desert ugly. 

There’s now fierce battles going on between people town. Our communities are very divided by this. We love the jobs and investment it brings, but it destroys a lot of what’s special about living here.

I just thought I’d share this, since it’s personal to me. I’d be more inclined to agree with the conservationist, especially when he says we should build solar farms on roofs and over roadways as alternatives.

Also, a fun fact about Joshua Trees, they only grow in the Mojave Desert and in Israel (at least that’s what I was told growing up).

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Agger said:

I'm in no way the right person to consider the mental health of the presidential candidates, but there are some major problems about Trump's personality.

When even the "leader" of Danes for Trump says that he's an idiot it does say something (he likes his political ideas and results, though).

A man who really seems more like a child when told that he is wrong (and fires everybody who aren't ready to lick his boots).

Whenever somebody challenges him, he answers with either lies or claims about fake news, he has an obsession with how people see him and has no trouble treading on others.

Biden certainly isn't without weaknesses and I would hope for a stronger candidate 8though I'm without doubt more positive than most others in this thread). He does have his gaffers (but he has for a long time, not just after getting old) just like Trump (who certainly don't correct them either).

Though it's a clear sign of the way things are moving in the US (and sadly several other democratic countries) it is saddening how little things become about politics and so much about a single person.

Trump is a member of the lucky sperm club. A guy who has never heard "no" as an answer. He acts exactly like someone from high-upper class. These people think they're entitled to own the world and they are correct. People like you still judge Trump as a politican, he is not. He's a businessman who always does things his own way. That's how business and successful business works. He runs USA like a major corporation he owns. It sure helps USA is a federation, most of the stuff Trump doesn't even care about is handled by state politics and he can focus on the "bigger" things. The US President office is set up ideally for someone with a huge ego like Trump and he takes full advantage of this setting alright.

34 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Interesting video on a very local issue for me.

A lot of the footage used in this video is from right outside my town (the outskirt communities). We embraced solar technology in the late 2000s, and that shit took off out here. It quickly became a major sector business, and got our communities a lot of state and national interest. There are now miles and miles of solar farms across our deserts, and much more planned. My town is one of the sunniest places on the entire planet, so it’s an ideal place to build solar farms. We also have consistently strong winds, which makes us an ideal candidate for wind turbines like you see in the video. 

However, these companies are razing our desert to make this happen. Like the conservationist says, our desert is an amazing place filled with biodiversity (even if it isn’t as beautiful as a mountain peak, or rainforest, or ocean). We’ve seen animal habitat decreased greatly. We have many threatened and endangered species that call the Mojave Desert home. 

These companies caused horrible and dangerous dust storms when they removed all the plants from their plots of land about a decade ago. It made it dangerous to go outside for days at a time. They have also chosen to build their solar farms on lands where our beloved California poppies grow, thus reduced their habitat and making our desert ugly. 

There’s now fierce battles going on between people town. Our communities are very divided by this. We love the jobs and investment it brings, but it destroys a lot of what’s special about living here.

I just thought I’d share this, since it’s personal to me. I’d be more inclined to agree with the conservationist, especially when he says we should build solar farms on roofs and over roadways as alternatives.

Also, a fun fact about Joshua Trees, they only grow in the Mojave Desert and in Israel (at least that’s what I was told growing up).

Congratulations, you have just learnt rule Number One of politics.  You don’t get something for nothing.

19 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Congratulations, you have just learnt rule Number One of politics.  You don’t get something for nothing.

Well accept, as the conservationist explained, we could. At the very least, we could do more to both protect the environment, and grow our renewable energy industry. It just requires more planning and critical thinking.

If one sides says: raze all the Joshua Trees

And the other says: don’t touch a single Joshua Tree

I feel like there’s a much better third option than the two presented in that case. That’s why I’m more inclined to agree with the conservationist, who has an idea worth considering (i.e we can protect the trees, and build better solar infrastructure (which might actually improve our city come to think of it)). 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

5 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Well accept, as the conservationist explained, we could. At the very least, we could do more to both protect the environment, and grow our renewable energy industry. It just requires more planning and critical thinking.

If one sides says: raze all the Joshua Trees

And the other says: don’t touch a single Joshua Tree

I feel like there’s a much better third option than the two presented in that case. That’s why I’m more inclined to agree with the conservationist, who has an idea worth considering (i.e we can protect the trees, and build better solar infrastructure (which might actually improve our city come to think of it)). 

You simply are not going to be able to sustain an advanced industrial civilization with solar power.  The sums just don’t add up.

3 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

You simply are not going to be able to sustain an advanced industrial civilization with solar power.  The sums just don’t add up.

Neither will coal, it’s not a renewable resource. 

California’s plan isn’t just to rely on solar power though. We will use solar power, wind power, and hydro power to fuel our great civilization.

6 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Neither will coal, it’s not a renewable resource. 

California’s plan isn’t just to rely on solar power though. We will use solar power, wind power, and hydro power to fuel our great civilization.

In 50 years time half of the California land will be covered by solar farms or whatever that's called. The price of land will rocket sky high and actually a land sold for wind farms will most likely be higher than for housing. Because you will be dependent on the solar energy alone. It only takes something to gain a total monopoly. Once renenwable energy gains monopoly, the prices will go go sky high, ecology is pretty expensive already and that's when there is coal & nuclear plants competition. Imagine what happens when every single coal mine & nuclear plant gets closed like it's happening in Germany right now. You get the renewable energy but Germany is straight up to become tied to Russian gas for decades to come.

They tried to do the same with auto industry and energetic cars but OPEC ain't gonna lay down for ecology and they won't let electricity to replace crude oil. All these energetic car rentals are going out of business faster than an internet bubble years ago because you can't sustain a cheap market anymore.

Btw, California's wind market has been called 'moribund'. And all the talk here is about the money, what else. It's not about the ecology, it's always about the money. Wind is the new coal.

https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/justin-california

Texas has overrun California in this department and if things looks bleak now, then it can only get worse from here on unless you're cool with covering half the state with windmills.

7 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Trump is a member of the lucky sperm club. A guy who has never heard "no" as an answer. He acts exactly like someone from high-upper class. These people think they're entitled to own the world and they are correct. People like you still judge Trump as a politican, he is not. He's a businessman who always does things his own way. That's how business and successful business works. He runs USA like a major corporation he owns. It sure helps USA is a federation, most of the stuff Trump doesn't even care about is handled by state politics and he can focus on the "bigger" things. The US President office is set up ideally for someone with a huge ego like Trump and he takes full advantage of this setting alright.

Lol what is this nonsense? The way Trump acts is a huge outlier within the US business world and a huge outlier in the world of old money. He’s famously a giant oddity within the NYC elite.