website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

6 minutes ago, dcro said:

Yes, I'd rather watch a debate than read media spins reports. :p

The debate should an actual policy debate where candidates are forced to have intense debate about their policies, and only their policies though. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Federer91 said:

Because the internet is such a good form for your information. :d I actually prefer people to come in person and say the things directly. You can see and hear everything from the persons mouth and make your own conclusion, instead of the structuring and cherry picking that many of the internet sites will publish. Any debate is better than no debate.

Too bad debates nowadays aren't really anything more than everyone just throwing numbers, percentages and 'facts' at each other, most of which are correct but turned in a way to make them sound very strong while being actually meaningless :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

49 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

It seems that US is officially withdrawn from WHO.

Yep. :(

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Well. While we see the Democrats slowly moving to the left, the republicans seems to be joined by another rather interesting wing as we see a bunch of QAnon..

Most won't get elected but it's just another of those lovely, frightening things in US politics.

10 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

It is believed that he committed suicide due to a sexual harassment allegation by his former secretary and leaving a will saying he felt sorry. What he did is absolutely wrong and would be punished by law, but I don't think it reaching the level of suicide. Feeling sorry for him and lucky Donald Trump and Joe Biden not living in Korea.

He can claim that colleges “indoctrinate” students in liberal ideology, but I’d argue that college gives students the tools not to fall for the classic lies, fear-mongering, and authoritarian policies of conservatism.

I used to respect conservatives. We used to have shared morals. I knew conservatives who saw the same problems with our country that I did, and only difference between us was how we were going to solve the problem. Now conservatives don’t want to acknowledge the problem, and their only concern is consolidating power and enforcing a system that only benefits the rich and powerful of this country.

It’s no secret that I have an extreme dislike of Biden too, but I do actually trust him to have a well reasoned response to pandemics, to continue funding for basic human rights like education, and to not take policy actions based of vain megalomaniac-like attitudes. These are literally the most basic qualities that any democratic leader should have.

I would also remind Trump that attacking and pushing university students to their limits hasn’t historically ended well for world leaders.

The only organizations we should remove the tax-exempt status from for “indoctrination” are the organized religions of this country.