website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

Debates are useless in the internet-age. Too much politics on daily TV these days. Most people don't give a damn about yet more talking heads on TV. You can check out anything online anyway so why bother with political debates?

Plus there’s nothing substantive about them. It’s just an excuse to for candidates to go on national television and insult each other, while partisan viewers get their opinions more vindicated and biases confirmed. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

U.S. is considering in joining India in banning TikTok. TikTok is insanely popular in the U.S., so I doubt it will happen. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

14 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

U.S. is considering in joining India in banning TikTok. TikTok is insanely popular in the U.S., so I doubt it will happen. 

That's that social media thing because of which 11-year olds do weird hand dances in class all day, something I've seen a lot of teachers complain about? Hard to ban it something so popular.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

I think it more like a threat for China implementing the trade deal to buy more American goods of which the demand drops sharply due to the pandemic. If US banned such apps and China take countermeasures, the final result must be tearing down the trade deal which is a lose-lose scenario for both. I am not sure if it will be a good thing for re-election, in my opinion, it’s not and it will not happen.

17 godzin temu, Monzanator napisał:

Debates are useless in the internet-age. Too much politics on daily TV these days. Most people don't give a damn about yet more talking heads on TV. You can check out anything online anyway so why bother with political debates?

That's important point, we have one of the oldest society in Europe, many of +65yo people doesn't have access to Internet or even if they have that, they don't know how use this.

Some time ago I read somwhere that around 25% of our population doesn't have permanent internet access, we can believe that most of that people lives in small villages.

Then such people might doesn't know about existence of other political parties than PO, PiS and time to time mentioned Lewica as they only are watching TV and mainly TVP and can know their programm only from TV debates. As we all know "thanks" to this, PiS have always advantage in villages/small towns and among +65yo people and they still will vote for them because they are giving 500+ and 13/14 additional universal retirement, which PO didn't it during their leadership during 8 years.

Because the internet is such a good form for your information. :d I actually prefer people to come in person and say the things directly. You can see and hear everything from the persons mouth and make your own conclusion, instead of the structuring and cherry picking that many of the internet sites will publish. Any debate is better than no debate.

17 minutes ago, rybak said:

That's important point, we have one of the oldest society in Europe, many of +65yo people doesn't have access to Internet or even if they have that, they don't know how use this.

Some time ago I read somwhere that around 25% of our population doesn't have permanent internet access, we can believe that most of that people lives in small villages.

Then such people might doesn't know about existence of other political parties than PO, PiS and time to time mentioned Lewica as they only are watching TV and mainly TVP. As we all know "thanks" to this, PiS have always advantage in villages/small towns and among +65yo people and they still will vote for them because they are giving 500+ and 13/14 additional universal retirement, which PO didn't it during their leadership during 8 years.

That's a myth. My mother is 64yo and back in the 90s she couldn't turn the damn VCR on but now she's on Instagram and Youtube all the damn time! Smartphone is the most important item in her life these days :lol: So whenever I hear "we need politics on TV because older people can't use internet" I look at my mother and say - BULLSHIT :p