website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

48 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

OK, so let's count it the other way.

Out of 2475 mayors (whatever we call them in Poland - prezydent, burmistrz, wójt) - 2007 are non-party ones. More to say - PSL has much more mayors than PO, which includes 3 times more of "burmistrz" than PO (while "wójt" is obviously their strongest part of the statistics).

How does that translate to national politics though? The Presidents Union - Citizens to Senate that was set up in 2011 is a distant failure already.

Poland isn't a federal country and all the politics that counts happens in Sejm. For Civic Platform the presidency of Warsaw and Poznan matters a lot more and they wouldn't change it for 150 mayor seats elsewhere IMO. And that's what really matters. It's the same when Stalin offered Finland twice as big area of Northern Karelia in exchange for the Hanko Peninsula. Finns obviously didn't take it.

6 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

And that's what really matters.

Personally, I care more for a concrete bicycle track around the lake in my city than for example whether the head of Polish Muslim Church resides in Vilnius or Białystok (especially that the change of this rule was made 75 years after Vilnius stopped being Polish, so there was not a big problem with that it seems for quite a long time).

27 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

Personally, I care more for a concrete bicycle track around the lake in my city than for example whether the head of Polish Muslim Church resides in Vilnius or Białystok (especially that the change of this rule was made 75 years after Vilnius stopped being Polish, so there was not a big problem with that it seems for quite a long time).

Well, nobody gives a damn about Polish Muslim Church to begin with :lol: I guess the Polish minority in Lithuania deserves some credit for its existence though? ;)

19 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

Still, I think much more people do give a damn about Polish Muslim Church than about your opinion on Polish Muslim Church.

So what? I'm talking about a two-party system in Poland that gains more shape year after year since 2005. No wonder it does so well since people like you care more about bicycle tracks and a Muslim Church of all things :dunno:

2 hours ago, Dolby said:

Honest question: What is this Polish Muslim Church? Are you guys referring to mosques? Or is Polish Muslim Church, a sect of Christianity? Some details please. 

Islam isn't a Christian sect! These are two different religions ;)

There are only five mosques in Poland. Virtually all of Muslims living in Poland are descendants of the Tatars which used to live in Lithuania during the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth era. That's the northern-east part of modern Poland.

Since communists supported the Arab world during Cold War there are some descendants of student immigrants who came here in XX century but the oldest Muslim community are basically all ethnically Tatars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipka_Tatars

Like Vojthas mentioned earlier, the Muslim Religion Association (aka the Polish Muslim Church) is based in Bialystok (north-east Poland).