website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

Great victory for censorship today, as HBO removed Gone with the Wind from their library.

How does this work exactly? Denial of the Holocaust is punishable by law in some places, while denial of the slavery is... encouraged?

I guess we should just pick-and-choose things we do like and remove stuff we don't. We can all live in our own private little fairytales! That's basically the message these HBO minds are sending.

#banbestmen

12 minutes ago, dcro said:

Great victory for censorship today, as HBO removed Gone with the Wind from their library.

How does this work exactly? Denial of the Holocaust is punishable by law in some places, while denial of the slavery is... encouraged?

I guess we should just pick-and-choose things we do like and remove stuff we don't. We can all live in our own private little fairytales! That's basically the message these HBO minds are sending.

We're also in a new Middle Ages, were statues have to be torn down apparently (which in some cases is not necessarily a bad thing toward the person of whom a statue was made, but it's dangerous to just try and erase history like that). If this keeps going this way, it's a matter of time before centuries old churches and mosques are burned down as well due to their slave connections, which again from a historical perspective is just not good at all. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

10 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

We're also in a new Middle Ages, were statues have to be torn down apparently (which in some cases is not necessarily a bad thing toward the person of whom a statue was made, but it's dangerous to just try and erase history like that). If this keeps going this way, it's a matter of time before centuries old churches and mosques are burned down as well due to their slave connections, which again from a historical perspective is just not good at all. 

Yeah, Gone with the Wind is politicially incorrect it seems :lol: Americans have no idea how to accept their slavery past so it seems like they figured out they will pretend it never existed? :p

Btw, only Catholic churches will be burned down, if you burn down a mosque then you'll be labelled as anti-semitic :old:

58 minutes ago, dcro said:

In my opinion it's a very bad decision to just earse it like the movie has never been made, though i belive there is a huge difference between Holocaust deniers to those of the slavery, as i read about the movie being removed i just kept wondering to myself if the solution of" hiding it instead of dealing with it " is just a poor judgment of people rather than an actual believe..

for me a Jewish descent of Holocaust it's important to talk and teach every generation about what happened to visit the camp talk to those who still alive today, as i grew up i came across 2 types of those uneducated f*** those who are 100% denies everything and those who just tampering with history in order for it to somehow fit to their sick agenda..

1 hour ago, dcro said:

I'm not a big fan of removing the movie. Putting a disclaimer on it should be more than enough, but it's not like there aren't plenty of movies with slaves. Removing one due to how slaves are pictured isn't denial.

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Tearing down statues isn't really just a Middle Ages thing. It has happened plenty of times showing changes.

And though statues do sometimes make people curious enough to look somebody up, it's a long way from erasing history. Statues are made to celebrate people and if they aren't worthy of that, it's not like they disappear.

I'm not for some massive purge of statues, but I don't see why people whose only contribution to history is slavery should be having a statue in a modern society. Don't destroy it, but use it to tell the sad parts of history.

Meanwhile I don't really see why it should end up with buildings destroyed.

3 minutes ago, Agger said:

I'm not a big fan of removing the movie. Putting a disclaimer on it should be more than enough, but it's not like there aren't plenty of movies with slaves. Removing one due to how slaves are pictured isn't denial.

But it is a denial. It's a denial on how the South looked in the 1860s.

#banbestmen

9 minutes ago, Agger said:

Tearing down statues isn't really just a Middle Ages thing. It has happened plenty of times showing changes.

And though statues do sometimes make people curious enough to look somebody up, it's a long way from erasing history. Statues are made to celebrate people and if they aren't worthy of that, it's not like they disappear.

I'm not for some massive purge of statues, but I don't see why people whose only contribution to history is slavery should be having a statue in a modern society. Don't destroy it, but use it to tell the sad parts of history.

Meanwhile I don't really see why it should end up with buildings destroyed.

I know, but there was this huge moment in the Middle Ages where tons of statues were destroyed (the Storm of Statues, which I thought was more of a European thing than a Dutch/Belgian thing than it apparently was :p ).

Statues of people who did literally nothing but slave trading could of course easily be removed, but I doubt they'll put them where they belong: in a museum, where people can learn about it. And we're going in a way where literally everything with any tiny bit of connection to racism, slave trade or other dark parts of history is taken away. It's not how I see them, but I wouldn't be surprised if churches are targets due to the roles played in genocide and such (a Columbus statue is already torn down), mosques due to the slavery issues, and so on.

Personally I prefer the examples of statues of people with a dark past, where in later years they added a plaque or something with an explanation about said dark past. Then you make very clear that this person has had contributions (because they generally did) but also was involvd in things we now find very bad.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, dcro said:

But it is a denial. It's a denial on how the South looked in the 1860s.

Even as a pretty Eurocentric historian, I know that the movie doesn't show how the South looked in the 1860s. It's a rather romanticized picture of the situation and especially the slavery (and later freemen).

15 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

Did Americans already start ripping their banknotes, they have a few slavers pictured on them.

No, but after the police is dissolved, they won't be necessary. Everyone will have the chance to take and do whatever they want. Final stages of pure democracy for the history books. If history books are still being allowed that is.