website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

Anyone knows more about these Australian journalists?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-02/channel-7-journalists-assaulted-police-george-floyd-protesters/12312056

Next time when the US criticizes an authoritarian country about the repression of press freedom, the government/regime concerned will just cynically point to videos like this.... 

28 minutes ago, dharang said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-02/channel-7-journalists-assaulted-police-george-floyd-protesters/12312056

Next time when the US criticizes an authoritarian country about the repression of press freedom, the government/regime concerned will just cynically point to videos like this.... 

Absolutely. One journalist made a news story about how she would cover these protests if they were in Egypt or Libya, and let me just say it was a little jarring.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, dharang said:

I think the reporter and cameraman are both physically ok (not heavily injured). I saw the live video clip in their reporting sight and the anchors were astonished. The Australian PM already protest to the US embassy (most likely no follow-up). Not only this but also a lot of video clips could be used for authoritarian country propaganda. I saw CNN, Vice, Russian, UK and Australian journalists attacked by police already.

42 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Absolutely. One journalist made a news story about how she would cover these protests if they were in Egypt or Libya, and let me just say it was a little jarring.

Can you link it?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Protests are a little larger in California today after Trump’s remarks yesterday. So far, they have stayed very peaceful (as they tend to do in the earlier hours of the day). I have a few friends that traveled down to Hollywood for today’s march. The protest in the neighboring town to mine should just about be getting underway. I’m not attending because my parents are concerned about the spread of Covid, especially since my sister does have some mildly serious medical conditions. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

The LAPD decided to have a live Zoom call with the community this afternoon, and it’s going just about as well as you would expect. There were some people that came just to insult them, and actually wasted all of our time, but there was also some very good eloquent speakers who really pushed the issues at hand. I wanted to get in and call about the policies I brought up on here, but I couldn’t find the entry code :(