website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

3 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Police have shot one journalist with a rubber bullet in the eye in Minneapolis. The have arrested another journalist as well, after he identified himself as a journalist and asked the officers where they wanted him to go. The NYPD also took a break from beating the shit out of protestors to arrest two journalists as well.

I will not tolerate this type of behavior. I’m seriously considering protesting tomorrow.

I hope you do, these protests need more people who show they can protest by simply protesting, instead of ravaging, and I'm fairly sure you're not the violent kind. Do let us know.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I hope you do, these protests need more people who show they can protest by simply protesting, instead of ravaging, and I'm fairly sure you're not the violent kind. Do let us know.

All it takes is few people who change protests into riots and the thing snowballs out of control. Same happens with hooligans at the stadiums. These protests will be a footnote in history and life will simply go on. I suspect this whole thing will expire within the next 2-3 weeks and the focus will shift elsewhere.

19 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

All it takes is few people who change protests into riots and the thing snowballs out of control. Same happens with hooligans at the stadiums. These protests will be a footnote in history and life will simply go on. I suspect this whole thing will expire within the next 2-3 weeks and the focus will shift elsewhere.

I suspect less than 2 weeks maybe in 1 week. I don't see the riots can change anything except venting emotions. What government could do? Arrest the police, commit investigation and claim some oral reforms. Then this thing will pass. The deeper bias will not just vanish by protest and paper rules.

Always the question whether or not these things are true, but given the situation, it wouldn't be surprising.

The result of someone trying to defend his shop. It is rather graphic.

Spoiler

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

21 hours ago, MHSN said:

let me surprise you that in Persian we also call your country as "Hindustan" (or Hendustan to be accurate) often shortened to "Hind/Hend"

Yeah I forgot Iran. My Iranian friends said that even the numbers are same in pronounciation in persian and Hindi. 

The state where I live, Karnataka the state language is Kannada and it's not close to Hindi or Persian. 

In case of alphabets it's similar to Thailand. Exactly similar in pronounciation and order but different symbols. 

Vowels A to Aha

Consonants K to Ha 

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

Or it ends up as a new 1967. Though it's really not that unusual that protests become violent in USA, this one can quickly become more than the small stuff.

19 minutes ago, Agger said:

Or it ends up as a new 1967. Though it's really not that unusual that protests become violent in USA, this one can quickly become more than the small stuff.

We live in a different era now. Since 1967 didn't happen in 1993, it most certainly won't happen in 2020 either ;)

Meanwhile in Colorado. Apart from giving a certain virus free space to flare up massively, this is a touching and moving protest.

8 hours ago, Monzanator said:

I think that’s a pretty dangerous assumption. I thought the same thing originally, but the energy and anger people have right now amazing. This won’t be a footnote in our history. I have feel Americans will be talking about this for a while.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela