website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

16 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Which is why we’ll continue to hit the streets in protest. If you won’t punish one side, then you can’t punish the other.

Yep, and I wonder how long before people forget what are they protesting about? Because it's sure not about that guy being killed anymore :lol:

17 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Yep, and I wonder how long before people forget what are they protesting about? Because it's sure not about that guy being killed anymore :lol:

Maybe not in Minnesota, but in LA and NYC is very much about police brutality. The police have also not been acting as peacemakers in this situation like they should. Instead they’ve been responding to protests with force, which of course only incites further anger and rioting.

It won’t be long before people forget about this all together. Americans don’t have the stamina, drive, or determination to create any actual change.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Protestors forced the retreat of police from the 3rd precinct building in Minneapolis. They seem to have lit a fire that has spread to the entire building as well. They also began shooting off fireworks over the burning building in celebration. I’ve never seen anger and action like this in the U.S. This should tell you how fed up people are with government inaction right now. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

A large protest has also broken out in Louisville, Kentucky tonight. A black woman was shot killed by police after they broke into her home there in March. Obviously there was still a lot of semi-fresh anger about that. The protest was largely peaceful, until some protesters tried to flip a SWAT van that was left in the middle of road or something. From what it sounded like on TV, gunshots were fired somewhere in the vicinity shortly after. I haven’t seen any updates about that yet, but tonight is one of the craziest nights in America in a long time.

4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

A large protest has also broken out in Louisville, Kentucky tonight. A black woman was shot killed by police after they broke into her home there in March. Obviously there was still a lot of semi-fresh anger about that. The protest was largely peaceful, until some protesters tried to flip a SWAT van that was left in the middle of road or something. From what it sounded like on TV, gunshots were fired somewhere in the vicinity shortly after. I haven’t seen any updates about that yet, but tonight is one of the craziest nights in America in a long time.

I’ve seen multiple news outlets now reporting that there were some victims, but I haven’t seen any reputable ones report that yet.

If it's in China, government will immediately arrest the policemen and make them apologize in public to get forgiveness of victims' family. I also think it's the most effective and efficient solution, why not the government do so? If the policemen proved innocent, they can be released after this issue over. 

30 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

If it's in China, government will immediately arrest the policemen and make them apologize in public to get forgiveness of victims' family. I also think it's the most effective and efficient solution, why not the government do so? If the policemen proved innocent, they can be released after this issue over. 

There’s no innocent policemen. They have beaten and killed black people in various ways for hundreds of years in this country. Even today, police acted like thugs and broke up peaceful protest outside of Minnesota. We have allowed them to escape consequences, and become too powerful over minorities.

Also, I don’t think forced apologies are going to solve this situation...

And...Trump just condemned us to more civil unrest...

“When the looting starts, the shooting starts.” I’m sure this statement will really calm things down. 

Also, he wants to blame the left for this! We have advocated for prison reform, criminal justice reform, and civil justice reform for decades now. His party is the one that has blocked all of that legislation. His party is the one that said “there were good people on both sides” after the biggest white nationalist rally in the last decade. Trump finds much of his support in old Jim Crow states. His party has told us to support policemen because they are infallible. His party is allowed to brandish guns in government buildings. Black people get shot after the police break into their own homes looking for someone who had already been arrested. Black people get murder by the Gestapo for “attempting perjury.”

It’s also fantastic to know that our military is on standby if needed to fire at our own citizens. That’s just wonderful. I feel like we’ve written multiple UN resolutions against countries that have done the same.

While I can see why people might want to call the people out there tonight “thugs.” I have a suspicious feeling that the situation won’t exactly disappear after that statement.

He has to go in November. I will forever hate myself for endorsing the two-party system when they both present shit candidates, but he is a danger to the safety of Americans, and he must be voted out.

Also, he doesn’t give one fuck about Mr. Floyd.

54 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

There’s no innocent policemen.

Yay generalization.

It's as if people still can't understand that generalizations are usually always the root of such unrests. Especially in America.

#banbestmen

2 minutes ago, dcro said:

Yay generalization.

It's as if people still can't understand that generalizations are usually always the root of such unrests. Especially in America.

That’s a fair criticism, and one that @heywoodu also mentioned earlier. However, like I said these issues have been around for hundreds years. Even if we decide to only count the last decades, how many systemic killings have we seen? 10, 20, 30, 50, 100, more? If there are so many good police officers where are they? Why do they never condemn these killings? Why aren’t they in favor of legislation that would ease pressure on these communities? Why have they continued to allow their coworkers to get away with shit like this? Why do they refuse to speak out? We do they let cops build up multiple misconduct violations? (The killer had 18 misconduct violations to his name).

It’s been like this for years. I want to believe our police are police and not the Gestapo, but they never proven to be anything but. They can arrest white school shooters constantly, but an unarmed, cooperative black man is too much of a threat. 

I’ll amend my statement in fairness to American law enforcement: Not all cops are bad, but the ones the refuse to speak up are cowards.