website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

57 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Hard to say, but at least when you look around on places like Reddit, you see there is a shitload of police officers reacting to this and pretty much all of them can barely even describe how horrified they are at things like this happening. Because unlike what some people want you to believe, it's not a majority of police officers who think this is ok to do. Most just really don't, rightfully so of course.

Most police are right-wing, and some police departments have even become far-right breading grounds. That’s what happens when respect for those who uphold the law, turns into a divine right for justice for those serving the law. There are good police, but it seems like they are fewer and more silent nowadays.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

This smells rather yellow-vesty as well. "We're mad at the government, so we're going to firebomb your shop and flip and then burn your car."

thefuck.jpg

This does actually make sense under a social theory I came up with in my high school government class.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Heavy looting has broken out in St. Paul (Minnesota capital) today. It looks pretty bad, and it will kill any further momentum on this issue I’m afraid. 

I want to see things burn, but this isn’t right. They are attacking random businesses and clearly not protesting the death of Mr. Floyd. 

Trump has shot himself in the foot here I think. From my understanding of the law, Twitter is pretty much free to takedown as many of Trump’s tweets as they want now. So if Twitter wants revenge, they can take away Trump’s biggest platform in theory.

50 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Heavy looting has broken out in St. Paul (Minnesota capital) today. It looks pretty bad, and it will kill any further momentum on this issue I’m afraid. 

I want to see things burn, but this isn’t right. They are attacking random businesses and clearly not protesting the death of Mr. Floyd. 

No wonder courts eventually side with the police in the end. Endorsing theft & arson means endorsing anarchy. No sane court judge in a democratic country would ever endorse anarchy. MInnesota can be as liberal as they want to but it still comes down to pure criminal activities in the end. They're not gonna win the ideological war that way :lol:

3 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

No wonder courts eventually side with the police in the end. Endorsing theft & arson means endorsing anarchy. No sane court judge in a democratic country would ever endorse anarchy. MInnesota can be as liberal as they want to but it still comes down to pure criminal activities in the end. They're not gonna win the ideological war that way :lol:

Judges don’t decide criminal cases, and trials are generally held a few months after everything calms down for this reason (to give all sides an equal opportunity at a fair trial). 

Let me remind you that right wing protesters armed themselves with rifles and stormed state house buildings last month over Covid-19 measures. The police didn’t antagonize them then, and surely didn’t do shit to stop them. The right spreads hate, misinformation, and violence just as much, if not more, as the left. 

8 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Judges don’t decide criminal cases, and trials are generally held a few months after everything calms down for this reason (to give all sides an equal opportunity at a fair trial). 

Let me remind you that right wing protesters armed themselves with rifles and stormed state house buildings last month over Covid-19 measures. The police didn’t antagonize them then, and surely didn’t do shit to stop them. The right spreads hate, misinformation, and violence just as much, if not more, as the left. 

This reasoning that "we shouldn't be punished because the other side does the same if not worse things" won't fly in any court regardless of how much time passes by IMO :lol:

hace 24 minutos, Monzanator dijo:

These protests shouldn't have any influence in the outcome of the trial for the murder of this man. They are completely irrelevant for the case. 

8 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

This reasoning that "we shouldn't be punished because the other side does the same if not worse things" won't fly in any court regardless of how much time passes by IMO :lol:

Which is why we’ll continue to hit the streets in protest. If you won’t punish one side, then you can’t punish the other.