website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

19 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Smaller, isolated country like New Zealand is MUCH easier to govern than a powerhouse like USA. It's fairly obvious. Hell, being the Mayor of New York is a much tougher job than a New Zealand PM IMO.

Right, but being a “easier job” (which I would imagine is harder than being mayor of New York City) still doesn’t really translate to why we can have relatable, decent, good natured leaders.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

10 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Right, but being a “easier job” (which I would imagine is harder than being mayor of New York City) still doesn’t really translate to why we can have relatable, decent, good natured leaders.

Budget of New York is 86 billion USD, budget of New Zealand is 30 billion USD. This is a no-contest who has a tougher job, Cuomo or Ardern :lol:

New Zealand is the biggest dairy products exporter in the world. Dairy products combine for 53% of their income. As long as people around the world eat butter and drink milk, they will be very fine economically regardless of who's in charge - a decent person or not so decent :p

I don't see how population size of a country has much to do with anything . Rich populous countries such as USA should have advantages in technology and research that small population countries -whether rich or not -don't have .

American covid deaths on a per capita basis are run of the mill with Western European numbers  -neither particularly  better or worse  ( I think deaths per million is the key stat )

America's problem -if I may say so - are mainly to do with that the country is becoming ungovernable being composed of several tribes who simply can't get on with each other . All countries have a shelf life - maybe USA is reaching it's use by date 

Countries like Australia and NZ are high trust societies -this makes all the difference 

India ,as always, is a mess 

4 minutes ago, rajiv said:

I don't see how population size of a country has much to do with anything . Rich populous countries such as USA should have advantages in technology and research that small population countries -whether rich or not -don't have .

American covid deaths on a per capita basis are run of the mill with Western European numbers  -neither particularly  better or worse  ( I think deaths per million is the key stat )

America's problem -if I may say so - are mainly to do with that the country is becoming ungovernable being composed of several tribes who simply can't get on with each other . All countries have a shelf life - maybe USA is reaching it's use by date 

Countries like Australia and NZ are high trust societies -this makes all the difference 

India ,as always, is a mess 

Isolation always helps stopping any disease. New Zealand is one of the most isolated countries in the world. They could afford implementing stricter measures from the onset, unlike countries in Europe.

I read this piece at Politico few days ago. I agree 100% with what is said there - "New Zealand is a community, not a society".

https://www.politico.eu/article/kiwis-vs-coronavirus-new-zealand-covid19-restrictions-rules/

Thankfully, we have the Gestapo to show us what appropriate kneeling looks like. 

People can wish for it, argue for it, and fight for it, but black lives will never matter in this country.

We’ll see protests, outrage on Twitter, the officers arrested/suspended, and then everyone will move and officers will be rehired shortly after. 

I’m ashamed, disgusted, and saddened.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I’m honestly having to contain some of the worst anger I’ve ever had right now. I don’t know if this is the full video, but it’s enough for me. 

The police officer clearly killed the man by suffocating him. Also, I applaud the bystanders for filming this.

There is a good chance that this is the most upset I’ve been in my life. I saying things that I am so going to regret tomorrow, but I’m so sick and tired of this country. This election will honestly improve nothing most likely (I mean, I hope it does, but I feel like that’s asking a lot). I’m so depressed right now.

5 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

There is a good chance that this is the most upset I’ve been in my life. I saying things that I am so going to regret tomorrow, but I’m so sick and tired of this country. This election will honestly improve nothing most likely (I mean, I hope it does, but I feel like that’s asking a lot). I’m so depressed right now.

The world is getting too inhuman to even believe it. I just cannot believe that someone has been murdered in such a manner on a broad daylight. Worse of all seems like the person kneeling on this man is enjoying the process. So horrible to see. May the truth prevail. I hope the person who did this is being send to the prison and hang to death for what he has done. This is the worst first degree murder ever.

5 hours ago, up and down said:

The world is getting too inhuman to even believe it. I just cannot believe that someone has been murdered in such a manner on a broad daylight. Worse of all seems like the person kneeling on this man is enjoying the process. So horrible to see. May the truth prevail. I hope the person who did this is being send to the prison and hang to death for what he has done. This is the worst first degree murder ever.

In a country with such liberal gun rights I find it not surprising that police acts so brutally. There is way too much risk a policeman gets shots on someone's back yard as people can store a whole gun arsenal in their living room.

In such countries like Poland where gun access is as strict as they come there is no such problem. We've had like one case over the past several years when some petty criminal and suspected drug dealer got tasered and died due to a cardiac arrest. That's just about it.