website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

17 minutes ago, Rdbc said:

Wow very interesting read, I guess after reading this I grew up pretty lucky having a good group of guy friends who didn't care I was gay and living in a place where "toxic masculinity" was to that extent. 

I do think though guys at least where I'm from are getting better about opening up about feelings I know plenty of guys who openly talk about going to therapy, dealing with depression, etc. Hopefully one day everyone can just be themselves without caring about what others think, I believe thats what it all boils down to. :yes

Can’t say the same. I grew up in one of few conservative areas of California (though we’ve seen a demographic shift to liberal after the Great Recession). The guy who talks about his crew team, is pretty how my cross country team was. This article was a very good insight into “youth” “masculine” culture in my opinion. I was always teased for having a high voice, or for liking to sing. I’d say the article hit pretty close to home for me. Definitely gave me a lot to think about.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

43 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’m going to assume CAB is the name of citizenship law? My biggest problem is that it seems like a step in the wrong direction towards peace in the area. Hindi nationalism has been on rise for the last few years, and this law seems fueled by it.

Slumdog Millionaire is how most Americans learned of Muslim mistreatment by Hindus.

Can you give some concrete example of rising Hindu nationalism and mistreatment of Muslims by Hindus? 

In India, Muslims have more rights than Hindus. As I said previously, all religions have their own personal laws. Hindu laws are made by parliament while Muslim laws are made by All India Muslim Personal Law Board, a body having only Muslim members. Muslims (and other minorities) have constitutional advantages in field of education as well. Minorities can run educational institutions with minimal government interference and full government subsidy while Hindu educational institutions, even with no government subsidies have a lot of government interference. Similarly, Indian Govt can at any time take over the administration of any Hindu temple but can’t do so with mosques. 

In the past 6 months, Indian parliament has passed three laws which are seen as creeping Hindu nationalism by Western media. 1) Banning instant triple talak 2) Removal of special status of Jammu and Kashmir and 3) present Citizen Amendment Bill.

As I have tried to show, CAB has a very narrow application and should be seen in context of partition and Nehru-Liaquat Pact. I am ready to clear any more doubts that you have with regard to this. 

Regarding special status of J&K, the previous position was that though J&K was part of India, Indian constitution was not applicable there. So, present government revoked this special status and now the same constitution that is applicable to rest of India is applicable to J&K. Once again, nothing communal about it. 

As far as Triple Talak is concerned, many Islamic countries also agree that instant triple talak is either against Quran or has no place in todays times and has hence banned it. 

I have one humble request: Don’t depend on Hollywood to learn about foreign nations/cultures. Slumdog, Hostel, Borat may be great entertainment but they cannot be your main source of information. 

7 minutes ago, Dolby said:

Can you give some concrete example of rising Hindu nationalism and mistreatment of Muslims by Hindus? 

In India, Muslims have more rights than Hindus. As I said previously, all religions have their own personal laws. Hindu laws are made by parliament while Muslim laws are made by All India Muslim Personal Law Board, a body having only Muslim members. Muslims (and other minorities) have constitutional advantages in field of education as well. Minorities can run educational institutions with minimal government interference and full government subsidy while Hindu educational institutions, even with no government subsidies have a lot of government interference. Similarly, Indian Govt can at any time take over the administration of any Hindu temple but can’t do so with mosques. 

In the past 6 months, Indian parliament has passed three laws which are seen as creeping Hindu nationalism by Western media. 1) Banning instant triple talak 2) Removal of special status of Jammu and Kashmir and 3) present Citizen Amendment Bill.

As I have tried to show, CAB has a very narrow application and should be seen in context of partition and Nehru-Liaquat Pact. I am ready to clear any more doubts that you have with regard to this. 

Regarding special status of J&K, the previous position was that though J&K was part of India, Indian constitution was not applicable there. So, present government revoked this special status and now the same constitution that is applicable to rest of India is applicable to J&K. Once again, nothing communal about it. 

As far as Triple Talak is concerned, many Islamic countries also agree that instant triple talak is either against Quran or has no place in todays times and has hence banned it. 

I have one humble request: Don’t depend on Hollywood to learn about foreign nations/cultures. Slumdog, Hostel, Borat may be great entertainment but they cannot be your main source of information. 

Thank You for taking the time to explain all of the that. India can be a confusing country for those unfamiliar with it. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

10 minutes ago, Dolby said:

Be that as it may, I ain't going to a Slovakian hostel no matter how much @hckosice says there's no problem. For all we know he's in on it and I'd end up with a drill in my eyeball. No d'akujem.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

Be that as it may, I ain't going to a Slovakian hostel no matter how much @hckosice says there's no problem. For all we know he's in on it and I'd end up with a drill in my eyeball.

Plus, you could just visit a nice Slovenian beach instead.

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Be that as it may, I ain't going to a Slovakian hostel no matter how much @hckosice says there's no problem. For all we know he's in on it and I'd end up with a drill in my eyeball. No d'akujem.

btw the funniest thing about this shit is that not a single second was actually shot in Slovakia. why that moron decided to name it Slovakia will be a unsolved eternal mistery for me :lol:

10 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

What if a hostel in Slovakia was run by the Fialkova sisters? :whistle:

Spoiler

Billedresultat for fialkova sisters

I would definitely have no problem staying there for while. :) I just hope they will not walk around with their rifles all time.

Edited by Wumo

2 minutes ago, hckosice said:

btw the funniest thing about this shit is that not a single second was actually shot in Slovakia. why that moron decided to name it Slovakia will be a unsolved eternal mistery for me :lol:

Because Slovakia is like the big unknown in Europe and people watching it will be like "oh fine that's Slovakia" no matter how it looks :p 

Could just as well have gone to Slovenia or Serbia or Montenegro or Moldova or something :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, Wumo said:

What if a hostel in Slovakia was run by the Fialkova sisters? :whistle:

Reveal hidden contents

I would definitely have no problem staying there for while. :) I just hope they will not walk around with their rifles all time.

I have grown used to sleeping with a rifle in the room, no problems there :p Not interested though :d