website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

On 08/11/2019 at 06:04, Monzanator said:

Canada is such a lousy place (maybe Kellie Humphries was right after all :p ).

A 31-year old French woman was deemed not French enough to be granted immigrant status in Quebec.

I hope the liberals are proud of this shit. Canada seems even more lost in the dark than the supposedly inferior conservative countries they so happily throw under the bus.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50241254

Quebec is another animal in itself. The leadership there is definitely questionable. You cannot put the blame on Canada...

5 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

There has been a coup d'etat in Brazil, now we have one in Bolivia and I'm not so sure about Chile's future. South America is in danger.

Chile always seems to be in trouble when its about to host a major sporting event. 

Morale: Do not bid for sporting events :P

46 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Quebec is another animal in itself. The leadership there is definitely questionable. You cannot put the blame on Canada...

Quebec is Canada’s metaphorical Texas.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

5 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

80% of the time the countries responsible for completely destabilizing the politics in South America are the United States and England (mostly in past centuries). Of course things are a lot more complex than simply stating "they started it", but in one way or another these nations are always meddling with politics here, either because they want money (the British in the past), oil (the US) or simply destabilize SA so that the region gets discredited (and loses economic prestige and investments). 

I'm aware of the complexity of a military coup d'etat, and I know it takes more than influence of a foreign nation to start it. Democracy in Brazil, Chile, Argentina and Uruguay is fragile and democratic ideals are somewhat recent. Venezuela spent 14 years under Chavez's orders, and Bolivia spent 13 years under Morales' control, but theoretically they were elected in democratic elections. It's very suspicious that the (far right) politicians in these nations had to seek for foreign intervention so they could forcefully depose the presidents of the nations.

As I said, I fear for the region. I'm convinced a military coup d'etat will take place in Brazil soon (maybe next year) if Lula keeps getting stronger, since Bolsonaro and the military forces would not be happy with Lula's popularity. Chile is in complete chaos right now, but at least the population is fighting back. Argentina chose a left wing president, so they are (in theory) not in danger of a coup d'etat, but as unlikely as it may seem, I'm afraid that the far right there could simply invoke foreign help to cancel the elections and cause turmoil in the nation. South America is a mess right now. 

Wait, what's that about a coup in Brazil? For a military coup to take place, someone not backed by the military would have to be the current leader...but isn't Bolsonaro - who you here say is backed by the military forces - the current leader? Or are you expecting for Lula to commit a coup first? 

Or, the more likely option, am I totally missing a recent development and has a coup already taken place (not counting Bolsonaro winning the elections of course)?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Police have shot an unarmed protestor who was fleeing in Hong Kong. :CHN thugs at it again.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, intoronto said:

What do you mean questionable? Last time I checked Canada was supposed to be a democratic country? I don't believe in this take Quebec isn't Canada or Texas isn't USA. It's just a very weak excuse to flush something you dislike down the toilet. Either you protect your country's integrity or you don't?

11 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

What do you mean questionable? Last time I checked Canada was supposed to be a democratic country? I don't believe in this take Quebec isn't Canada or Texas isn't USA. It's just a very weak excuse to flush something you dislike down the toilet. Either you protect your country's integrity or you don't?

Speaking for the United States, and only for the United States, people often think of thier states as countries. All the time Americans will accidentally list other states as foreign countries. Most Americans don’t want to split up, but they don’t realize how wonderful it would be to get rid of Alabama, Arkansas, and Mississippi. The US is generally United, even if I personally hate that. But there is most certainly aggressive state pride. Alabamians hate Californians, Californians hate Alabamians. Everyone hates Florida (sorry @dezbee2008). No one gives three shits about Oregon :p. The five people that live in North Dakota hate everyone else. That’s just how it is.

8 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Speaking for the United States, and only for the United States, people often think of thier states as countries. All the time Americans will accidentally list other states as foreign countries. Most Americans don’t want to split up, but they don’t realize how wonderful it would be to get rid of Alabama, Arkansas, and Mississippi. The US is generally United, even if I personally hate that. But there is most certainly aggressive state pride. Alabamians hate Californians, Californians hate Alabamians. Everyone hates Florida (sorry @dezbee2008). No one gives three shits about Oregon :p. The five people that live in North Dakota hate everyone else. That’s just how it is.

Except for when there's sports and they all drone out that godawful "USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!". Ugh.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 hours ago, Monzanator said:

It was not the Canadian government that made the decision, it was the Provincial Quebec government. There seems to be a high insecurity there about French identity.

5 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yeah, I realize the liberal parts of the country don't give a damn about Montana or Idaho. USA is far less united then you pretend to be.

47 minutes ago, intoronto said:

It was not the Canadian government that made the decision, it was the Provincial Quebec government. There seems to be a high insecurity there about French identity.

This sounds like the old "British when they win, Scottish when they lose" tune in the UK. Whenever something stupid or negative comes up the Canadians are quick to point out "It's not Canada, it's Quebec!" :lol: