website statistics

Trampoline Gymnastics at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

6 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

To be brutally honest, this is true. In a few years, I can't see this sport being part of the Olympics anymore. There's a reason why FIG is pushing Parkour a little bit too hard down our throats -- in my opinion, the plan is to remove trampoline from the Olympics and add Parkour.

For me, the sooner trampoline leaves the program, the better. It hurts to say this, but it adds nothing to the Olympic program. Rhythmic gymnastics at least does its own thing, but performing acrobatics on a trampoline, as hard as it actually is, just doesn't seem to be very exciting after you watch an all-around competition in artistic gymnastics. 

As a layman I don't understand all the resentment trampolining gets. I found the final to be quite exciting but maybe tumbling would be more spectacular?

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

6 minutes ago, Quasit said:

As a layman I don't understand all the resentment trampolining gets. I found the final to be quite exciting but maybe tumbling would be more spectacular?

I've always thought it's weird to have this sport at the Olympics. It only became an official gymnastics discipline in 1999, and the following year it was included in the Olympic program. It might have made sense in the early 2000s with much harder skills being performed on a trampoline rather than in artistic gymnastics, but nowadays the level of difficulty in artistic gymnastics has blown the roof away, so why even keep trampoline as an independent discipline? It's not a bad sport in any way, but it just doesn't impress me anymore. I mean, there are much, much worse sports in the program, but I wouldn't be sad to see this one go.

For me it's a daylight robbery but it's not surprised at all. After receiving women's gold we all presume it's gonna happen. So not too sad. FIG needs to balance lots of things to develop this sport and enlarge the international influence. Message well received and we will have another 15-20 golds, no one's gonna remember this after one week.