website statistics

Rhythmic Gymnastics FIG World Cup 2021

Totallympics

2 hours ago, mrv86 said:

Too bad Mexicans couldn’t handle the presure and ended with a rather low score today.
Anyway, their ball routine was far better executed that in Sofia, which gives me hope for a medal tomorrow in the final.

I'm very excited with the possibility of a medal for Mexico tomorrow. But I guess their best shot was in the all-around, since Ukraine had mistakes in both routines. In a field with Israel, Ukraine and Belarus, and Uzbekistan competing at home, gymnasts from other nations have to do their absolute best in order to get a medal.

Tashkent is such a weird stage. There's always Russian drama and unbelievable scores. I remember Kabaeva throwing a tantrum in 2003 or 2004 and it was such a scandal in RG forums at the time. LOL.

Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, you can't underestimate the big name countries. Even Turkey hit their routine today. Sixth place for Mexico with excellent scores overall, but the level was high here despite a depleted field with no Russia and Bulgaria.

There are still lots of stages this year, and Portimão is usually the weakest of the WC stages, so I hope Mexico keeps getting funds for the travel expenses and don't give up this year. They deserve a medal.

1 minute ago, thiago_simoes said:

Tashkent is such a weird stage. There's always Russian drama and unbelievable scores. I remember Kabaeva throwing a tantrum in 2003 or 2004 and it was such a scandal in RG forums at the time. LOL.

Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, you can't underestimate the big name countries. Even Turkey hit their routine today. Sixth place for Mexico with excellent scores overall, but the level was high here despite a depleted field with no Russia and Bulgaria.

There are still lots of stages this year, and Portimão is usually the weakest of the WC stages, so I hope Mexico keeps getting funds for the travel expenses and don't give up this year. They deserve a medal.

Last latin american medal was in 2015 or something like that? I remember a Brazilian medal, I could be wrong :mumble:

5 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

Last latin american medal was in 2015 or something like that? I remember a Brazilian medal, I could be wrong :mumble:

2013. It was not only the last, but the only one so far.

Brazil was supposed to participate at the WC stages, but when the girls got to the airport, someone in the delegation tested positive for Covid. I'm not sure what's the status of the group now, but word of mouth has not been positive and even at their best, the girls would not come close to Mexico's level this year. Olympic qualification should be between the US and Mexico, with maybe Canada and Cuba as dark horses. Canada has lots of new gymnasts this year on their group, so I'm curious to see what they can do. Last year the Canadians won a medal at the Grand Prix series, so I hope they keep the level high this year too.

• 3 weeks later...