website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

4 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

It's actually on par with what I expected, to be honest. Brazil has stopped producing great all-arounders, so it's only logical that this 4-person team nonsense would greatly affect our results right from the start. Caio did quite well today, and so did Diogo, but Diogo is very young and he was not supposed to even compete this year. He's being prepared to compete in 2024 and 2028. Anyway, I'm happy for Caio. Not happy for Zanetti at all. I despise him and I refuse to cheer for him in any circumstance.

I'm happy for the 2 apparatus finals (+2 individual AA), but I expected more (at least Team final).

Decent day for GB. Whitlock and Fraser and Hall finals but not sure any of the, will get an medal out it. Qualifying 5th for the all round was a great result through for Frazier.  The team event feels like it be a fight between the top 3 while GB and USA fight out for fourth and fifth. Can’t say it’s that likely any GB women will make an apparatus final tomorrow but I hope at least one will - surely at least one will make the all around final and the team will probably qualify.

Number of Men's apparatus finals by nation (*qualified for TF):

:ROC 7 (+2 AA)*
:CHN 6 (+2 AA)*
:TUR 5 (+2 AA)
:JPN 4 (+2 AA)*
:USA 4 (+2 AA)*
:KOR 3 (+1 AA)

:GBR 2 (+2 AA)*
:BRA 2 (+2 AA)
:KAZ 2 (+1 AA)

:GER 1 (+2 AA)*

:UKR 1 (+2 AA)*

:TPE 1 (+2 AA)

:ARM 1
:AUS 1
:CRO 1
:FRA 1
:GRE 1
:ISR 1
:IRL 1
:NED 1
:PHI 1
:ESP 1

:SUI (2 AA)*

Turkey out there doing much better than nations with full teams :d And in the end Japan didn't do nearly as good as I thought they did.

Did any big medal contender end up missing out? Quick look suggests not really, but as someone who doesn't often follow it, it's hard to differentiate between all the Russians and Chinese and such of whom I'm not sure if they're good on rings or floor or parallel bars etc :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

32 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

I'm happy for the 2 apparatus finals (+2 individual AA), but I expected more (at least Team final).

An individual final for Diogo is totally unexpected! I'm super happy for him!

Caio and Zanetti will have a hard time winning a medal, but it's definitely within reach. I'd not hold my breath, though.

Now, our team is just not great. Very low start values on rings and pommel horse. It's impossible to do well and reach team finals when the level of difficulty is not up to par with the other teams. Ninth place is even higher than I expected.

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Did any big medal contender end up missing out? Quick look suggests not really, but as someone who doesn't often follow it, it's hard to differentiate between all the Russians and Chinese and such of whom I'm not sure if they're good on rings or floor or parallel bars etc :d 

World Champion :PHI Yulo missed out.

#banbestmen

11 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

A lot.

:PHI Yulo (Floor)
:KOR Hak Seon (Vault)
:FRA Tommasone (Pommel Horse)
:UKR Radivilov (Rings and Vault)
:ITA Lodadio (Rings)
:HKG Wai Hung (Vault)
:GBR Regini Moran (Vault)
:BRA Mariano (Horizontal Bar)
:SUI Baumann (Parallel Bars)
:CHN Chaopan (Horizontal Bar)
:NED Zonderland (Horizontal Bar)
:LTU Tvorogal (Horizontal Bar, Parallel Bars)
:JPN Uchimura (Horizontal Bar)

I was very tempted to mention that Uchimura's gold medal on the horizontal bar was the safest gold medal prediction in men's artistic gymnastics this year, and he didn't even qualify for the final.

2 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

A lot.

:PHI Yulo (Floor)
:KOR Hak Seon (Vault)
:FRA Tommassone (Pommel Horse)
:UKR Radivilov (Rings and Vault)
:ITA Lodadio (Rings)
:HKG Wai Hung (Vault)
:GBR Regini Moran (Vault)
:BRA Mariano (Horizontal Bar)
:SUI Baumann (Parallel Bars)
:CHN Chaopan (Horizontal Bar)
:NED Zondrland (Horizontal Bar)
:LTU Tvorogal (Horizontal Bar, Parallel Bars)
:JPN Uchimura (Horizontal Bar)

Oh damn, they were all serious contenders? I didn't count Zonderland as such because of his past year, I had Deurloo significantly higher in mind than him :p 

Sad for Uchimura by the way, basically the king of the sport for so long, but now the Olympics in his home country are just too late...

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!